A woeful display from Broughty Athletic saw them suffer their heaviest league defeat this season, losing 6-1 at home to visitors Broxburn Athletic at Whitton Park.

Having made it into the final of the GA Cup last Saturday with a below par performance against local side Dundee Violet, Fed gaffer Keith Gibson was looking for a vast improvement from his side today but got the exact opposite! Missing was Jamie McCunnie with Drew Fleming slotting in defence. Upfront was Shaka Roy and Stewart McConnachie.

Things got off to a terrible start at a windy Whitton Park. Broxburn took the early lead on 6mins when a corner was only partially cleared, the ball came back into the box and was headed home, 0-1. Broxburn’s lead was doubled on 10mins when again from a corner the ball was flicked on at the near post and ended up in the back of the net, 0-2. 12mins Broughty had their first half-chance, a Jamie Winter free kick into the box was headed over by Barry Myles.

32mins Broughty thought they had pulled a goal back but Paul McLellan’s free kick rattled the crossbar, bounced on the goal line but spun outwards and was cleared. Despite several more half chances by the visitors Broughty went in at halftime 2-0 down.

The second half was only 8mins old when Broxburn scored their third goal due to a defence calamity. Ryan Suttie tried to take an easy free kick just outside the Broughty box, but with no players expecting the ball the Broxburn sneaked in and chipped Iain Ross in the goal, 0-3. 57mins Broxburn scored their fourth of the game. Ross made a fine save from a one on one position with the ball out for a throw. The throw landed at the edge of the box and a very weak low half effort somehow managed to coast through the Fed defence and into the far corner of the net, 0-4.

62mins McLellan saw his volley fly over the bar after being set up by Stewart McConnachie. 66mins Winter saw his shot saved by the Broxburn keeper from Drew Fleming’s cross. Finally on 69mins Broughty scored. Fleming down the right found McLellan inside the box and he rattled home, 1-4.

60secs later Broughty should have pulled another back but Suttie’s header was cleared off the line from a McLellan corner. The resulting corner saw Broxburn clear and race up the park and score their fifth goal to kill off any slim chance the Fed had, 1-5. Then on 85mins, the embarrassment was complete as Broughty were hit for six after another break up the park to finish off the scoring. F/T 1-6.

Summing up, A very poor performance from the home side that actually made the visitors look that good. A terrible first half was outdone by a shocking second half. Broxburn could have had double figures on another day. Far too many players out of their depth today for some reason. The visitors took full advantage and full credit to them.

Man of the Match for the Fed has to be substitute Grant Lawson. He came on at halftime and gave it a go at least! The players will have to pick themselves up for next week’s game against local side Lochee United at Thomson Park.

F/T: BAJFC 1-6 Broxburn Athletic – Scorer: McLellan