Following a recent run of poor results, Broughty Athletic manager Keith Gibson was a pleased man ofter his side’s 3-1 GA Engineering Cup win on Saturday over Culter JFC. Read below what he had to say on the game…

“After last Saturday’s disappointing result at Camelon in the league, we were all desperate to put things right this week against Culter in the cup. We made a few changes to the team and changed our shape slightly, we brought in Ross McCord, Kevin Buchan and Barry Myles.

We always knew this would be a tricky tie and we got off to the worst possible start losing a goal from a well-taken free-kick just after three minutes. We had the perfect response through a well-worked passage of play and a great finish from our captain Jamie Winter. The first half was really pleasing after we equalised as we controlled large parts of the first half and played some really good stuff. Kevin Buchan and Shaka Roy linked up really well and this gave us the platform to really put pressure on Culter. From middle to the front we moved the ball really well and got our second goal through a good finish from Kevin. We continued to create chances and our third goal came from a very well worked and a composed finish from Ross McCord.

After being in a poor run of late, our first half performance was excellent and the players have to take credit for it. We were forced into a change at half-time with Stewart McConnachie replacing Paul McLellan. We could have got off to a dream start in the second half after Kevin (pictured left) was through on goal and finished well but was adjudged to be offside when everyone in the ground saw he wasn’t. We never really got up to the performance level of the first half but we still created some really good chances that should have been put away but for poor finishing.

I’ve spoken about managing games and I feel we done that really well in the second half. Culter had a spell where that put us under a bit of pressure but we dug in and defended well. We played the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Jamie Winter went over his ankle but the players worked even harder and seen the game out. Overall I feel we were well worth the win and the first half, in particular, we played some great stuff.

We’re not getting carried away but it was great to get a win under our belts and monkies off our backs and hopefully, that gives the squad confidence going forward. We will assess injuries that we picked up this week, Jamie and Paul, who took a knock on his eye but he should be ok for next week. Sadly, though, after spending 5 hours in A&E on Saturday night, Danny Cavanagh has broken his hand and has to see a specialist on Monday. We’ve got a tough league game next week at home to Broxburn but we can take a bit of confidence from Saturday’s result and build on that, we’ll train well again this week in preparation for it…”