A single Kevin Milne goal was enough to earn all three points for the Fed today at Whitton Park against visitors Newtongrange Star in the Super League.

Broughty Athletic were looking to get back to winning ways following three recent league defeats and visitors Newtongrange were looking to put a 7-2 thrashing last Saturday behind them as they arrived at Whitton Park today. Back into the starting lineup came defender Jamie McCunnie, starting his first game this season. Ryan Suttie started alongside Graham Hay in the centre of defence. Logan Davie started his third game as a trialist as Kieran McWalter started on the bench.

4mins on the clock and Broughty were first to test the goalkeepers, Jamie Winter’s cross into the box just missed the in-rushing Kevin Milne and was cleared by the visiting keeper. 8mins and Star tried their luck with a 25yrd effort but it flew over Iain Ross in the Broughty goal. 16mins a long ball from Ryan Suttie found Logan Davie bearing down on goal but he just missed out with his head.

26mins and Davie passed four Star players, turning them inside out, he found Paul McLellan on the left, he cut inside and let go a shot which went wide of the post. Three minutes later and Star tried another long-distance effort, this time 30yrds out but it went over the bar. 33mins Davie again fed Stuart McConnachie this time, he was one on one with the keeper, he tried to chip him as he rushed out but the keeper saved well.

Then the deadlock was finally broken on 34mins. A long ball from captain Winter found Davie on the right, his low cross into the six-yard box found Milne who stabbed it home, 1-0. 40mins and the last chance came Broughty’s way, a Jamie Winter freekick 25yrds out was easily saved by the Star keeper as the sides went in at halftime, 1-0.

The second half was three minutes old when Star pressed and a shot went wide of the Broughty goalpost from the left side. On the hour mark, Broughty keeper Iain Ross made a fine save at his feet as Star broke upfield and ran towards Ross in the goal from a Broughty corner. One minute later a Jamie McCunnie cross saw substitute Dayle Robertson head over the bar. 67mins and trialist Ross McCord tried his luck with a 20yrd freekick but it was saved.

Star were building up the pressure and pushing Broughty deeper as they looked for the equaliser. On 68mins a corner was swung over but volleyed over the Broughty bar and out. 71mins and another chance fell to the visitors, they broke upfield but Ross saved the shot from inside the 18yrd box. Then on 80mins Star hit the woodwork, rattling Ross’s crossbar with an audacious effort.

Broughty had to stop the Star onslaught and it was substitute Kieran McWalters turn, he turned inside two markers, got inside the 18yrd box and let go a great effort but it too rattled the crossbar and bounced on the goal line and cleared. 86mins and a fine run from McLellan saw him pass to Robertson but his effort went inches the wrong side of the goal post and out. Star pushed upfield and were nearly caught out with the final chance. Final substitute Derryn Kesson fed McLellan but his shot was blocked by the out-rushing defender and cleared. F/T 1-0.

Summing up, a great three points to halt the recent run of defeats. The Fed played some good stuff throughout the team but again chances a plenty were not put away. The defence held out and dealt with what got thrown at them in the latter stages of the second half. A great start to Jim Finlayson and Jimmy Glass’s reign at the club.

Man of the Match for the Fed, all the management in agreement named one player. For his ball-winning headers and clearances and all-around general play throughout the ninety minutes, they all went with Graham Hay, with Ryan Suttie and Logan Davie both putting in great shifts behind him.

F/T: BAJFC 1-0 Newtongrange Star – Scorer: Milne.

Team: Ross, Blair, Hay, Suttie, McCunnie, Winter, Davie(trialist), McCord(trialist), McLellan, McConnachie, Milne.

Subs used: Robertson on for Milne, McWalter on for McCord, Kesson on for McConnachie.