A single goal settled this local derby between Broughty Athletic and hosts Lochee United at Thomson Park this evening. With both sides unbeaten after three games, the bragging rights stay with the Bluebells after a first half goal seals a 1-0 win.

The Fed were looking to get back to winning ways following their draw away to Kennoway Hearts on Saturday and tonight was a great opportunity against their local rivals. Caretaker manager Jamie McCunnie started with the same eleven, Kevin Milne up front and Garry Kenneth partnering Graham Hay in the defence.

The game was 4mins old when the first real chance fell to Fed striker Kevin Milne who was put through one on one with the Lochee keeper but he failed to convert with the keeper pulling out a save. On 10mins Fraser Smith tried his luck, a 20yrd shot deflected past the post out for a corner. Then on 20mins, the deadlock was broken, a Lochee corner wasn’t cleared thoroughly and headed back across goal by former Fed player Greg Kirk and Lochee’s number 5 stabbed it in at the far post, see main picture above, 1-0.

On 23mins Milne was rashly brought down just over the halfway line which led to three bookings, two for Broughty and one for Lochee. The free kick was swung into the box and Kenneth saw his header saved by the home keepers’ feet and out for a corner at the near post. 27mins Lochee saw a 15yrd effort fly over the Broughty crossbar. 35mins Lochee again saw another effort headed over and wide from a cross. Then seconds before halftime a Broughty corner was swung over, Lochee broke downfield and former Fed player Grant Lawson saw his effort curl wide past the post. H/T 1-0.

The second half was three minutes old and Lochee saw a diving header go wide of the post. 69mins a Broughty corner found Paul McLellan but his curling effort went wide of the post and crossbar. Broughty were pressing more and more up the park and taking the game to the home side and introduced substitute Derryn Kesson into the middle of the park and he started to take over, running past players with the ball with ease leaving the home side to resort to rash challenges to stop him! 71mins Kesson put through Milne but his effort was saved and cleared by the home keeper. Then 60secs later the home keeper pulled off a great save, palming Graham Hay’s header onto the crossbar from a Broughty corner.

80mins on the clock and a long range kick from Ross in the goal found KMilne, he twisted his marker inside but his shot was saved again and out for a corner. 86mins and another attack upfield from Broughty saw McLellan’s cross skim off the diving head of substitute Greig McNaughton and out. 87mins and Lochee looked to have doubled their lead but for a great save at the feet of Ross from close range. Then with seconds to go Broughty were awarded a free kick just outside the Lochee box for a foul on McConnachie. Up stepped McLellan but his effort skimmed off the top of the crossbar and out. F/T 1-0.

Summing up, a decent game of football for the neutral fan. Fairly even first half for both sides with Lochee taking their one chance. Broughty piled on the pressure in the second half and had a good few chances to level the game but for good goalkeeping or missed chances.

The defeat sees Broughty stay in fourth position in the league with Lochee moving up to second with four games gone. Broughty now welcome Perth side Jeanfield Swifts this Saturday to Whitton Park in the league.

Starting eleven: Ross, Blair, Kenneth, Hay, Suttie, Winter, Clark, Smith, McWalter, McLellan, Milne. Subs used: Kesson for Winter, McConnachie for Clark, McNaughton for Suttie.