Broughty Athletic suffered their first loss in three games as they went down 1-0 in a scrappy drab affair at home to Linlithgow Rose at Whitton Park this afternoon.

Before kick off the Fed were boosted by the return from illness, Danny Cavanagh, he replaced the missing Kieran McWalter from the squad for personal reasons as the manager went with the same side that started and won against Camelon last Saturday

2mins on the clock and the Fed should have taken the lead but the ‘goal’ was wrongly ruled offside by the assistant referee. Greig McNaughton’s cross found Derryn Kesson, he shot goalwards was saved by the keeper but he could only par in into the path of Brian Clark who slotted home only for the flag to go up amid howls from the Broughty bench and support.

10mins and Rose had their first real chance, a defensive mistake letting their striker lob John Sinclair in the Fed goal only to go the wrong side of the post and out. 26mins Rose had another chance, a cross from the right was headed wide of the post. 34mins Sinclair was tested in the goal but he saved well from a 25yrd effort. 35mins Kev Milne played in Jordan Garden on the left just inside the box but his curled right-footed effort was superbly saved by the Rose keeper, tipping it over the bar.

Two further half chances for the visitors just before halftime played out a rather dull, scrappy first half between the sides as they went in level at 0-0.

52mins and Kesson was hauled down just outside the Rose box, on the left side, and the resulting free-kick by Jamie Winter went wide and out. 54mins and Broughty pressed again, Garden played in Kesson, he found the on-rushing Milne but he shot wide of the post. 59mins and another Fed half chance, this time Danny Cavanagh’s free-kick was cleared to Garden but he headed wide of the goal.

69mins and Milne tried from 25yrds but his effort went wide of the Rose post. On 71mins it was Milne again, this time Winter played a ball through to him, he ran goalwards with the keeper rushing out to him and just managed to beat him to the ball and it was saved then cleared. Then the deadlock was finally broked on 81mins. A Rose corner was swung in and Garden was beaten to the ball by his opposite marker as it was headed into the bottom left-hand corner, 0-1.

Broughty were then pegged back by the visitors following the goal, but broke upfield, Hay headed the ball into the path of Winter, he ran goalwards but at the crucial time scuffed his resulting shot and it went wide. Broughty pressed, as did the Rose but no more action in the goalmouths ended the game at 0-1.

Summing up, poor game to be honest, from both sides, too many wayward passes and mistakes. Very scrappy at times and battling against the match officials. One goal was always going to win it as the game wore on and it went to the visitors from a set piece. The Fed will feel hard done by the ruling off of a perfectly taken goal at the start of the game by the match officials.

Man of the Match, one player stood out for determination and effort, heading everything that came his way and kept the Rose strikers at bay, it goes to Broughty’s Graham Hay.

Broughty will have the chance to redeem themselves as they travel to face Forfar West End on Wednesday night at Strathmore Park, with kick off at 6-45pm…