Broughty went into this game fresh off their 1-0 away win at Carnoustie on Wednesday night and full of confidence that they could take something from the game against visitors and Super League leaders Bonnyrigg Rose today. Only noticeable change to the starting line-up was Grant Lawson replacing Jamie McCunnie at right back due a holiday. Jamie Sime started again with Ryan Suttie suspended and Bastien Wibaut on study leave.

Broughty showed from the off they were up for today’s game, with Jamie Winter’s 25yrd effort just going wide of the post. On 10mins, it was the turn of Rose to test Iain Ross in the Broughty goal but he saved well from a corner. Two minutes later Jamie Winter was at it again, this time, his edge of the box free-kick went wide of the Rose goal.DSC_0044 (3)

15mins on the clock and Kevin Buchan was fed through, chipping the advancing keeper, but only to see the ball go wide of the post. Then on 19mins Bonnyrigg somehow failed to break the deadlock with Iain Ross pulling off a double point-blank save from a corner to keep the score level. Again on 28mins Jamie Winter tried his luck from 25yrds out but well wide was the resulting effort. 33mins a great chance for Broughty after fine play from Paul Lunan only to see his low cross fly past an open goal with no Broughty takers to slam home.

Then finally the deadlock was broken and it was the home side courtesy of a Jamie Winter’s (pic above)25yrd free-kick into the bottom right-hand corner of the net,1-0. Then just minutes before the halftime whistle Iain Ross was again brought into action saving well with the rebound skied over the crossbar. H/T 1-0.

The second half saw the visitors press but did not trouble the Broughty defence, Ross saving a couple of half chances on goal. Then on 65min, the equalizer finally came for the visitors. A free-kick was floated into the box with Ross saving one handed the attacking header only to see the rebound headed in unchallenged,1-1. Straight after the restart Bonnyrigg took the lead as Broughty were blown away within 60 seconds. Possession was lost and Rose broke goalwards, despite Grant Lawson’s attempted effort (pic below) to stop the shot, the ball went between to stop the shot, the ball went between Ross’s legs and into the back of the net,1-2.DSC_0005 (2)

A few more half chances for either side finished off the chances as the final whistle went and Broughty were left wondering how they managed to lose the game, a game where they were more than dealing with whatever the Rose offered to throw at them. A lapse in concentration for 60 seconds and a spirited push by the visitors changed the game with a minute. Nothing much between the sides throughout the ninety minutes but full credit to Bonnyrigg for battling away, and cementing their place at the top of the league.

Broughty have a chance to redeem themselves as the welcome St Andrew’s United to Whitton Park in the Super League on Wednesday night, with kick-off at 6-45pm.

36 match actions pictures can be viewed in the ‘PHOTOS’ section of the website…

60 match action pictures can be viewed by clicking on the ‘Sean Dee Photography’ tab at the top of the page…