Broughty Athletic hit their hosts, Carnoustie Panmure, for six in the Super League today at Laing Park, running out 6-2 winners in the process.

The Whitton Park side men went into the game unbeaten under new manager Jim Finlayson, a win over Newtongrange and a draw last Saturday against Broxburn Athletic, so a victory today would bring valuable points with only two league fixtures going ahead in the league.

Ryan Suttie partnered Graham Hay in the heart of the defence, Kevin Milne once again started up front with Stewart McConnachie whilst recent new signing Chris Liversedge started his second game since signing. Ryan Blair returned and started and Garry Kenneth was back in the squad with a place on the bench. Missing through injury were Paul McLellan and Jamie McCunnie.

Just 2mins on the clock and it was the home side to try their luck, their first of many chances in the first half, but the effort went over the bar from 12yrds out. Again on 5mins Carnoustie had another chance, this time heading over the bar from a right-sided cross. But on 9mins it was the visitors who broke the deadlock, with Fed captain Jamie Winter slotting home a 20yrd free-kick following a foul on Stewart McConnachie, 0-1.

15mins on the clock and again Carnoustie had a chance, a corner came over to the near post but was flicked past the post and out. Two minutes later and Broughty’s lead was doubled courtesy of the captain again, Jamie Winter. Kieran McWalter found the ball at his feet, but he miss-hit the shot and it fell to Winter who scooped the ball into the net, 0-2. 28mins and a free-kick to the home side flew over Iain Ross in the Broughty goal and out.

35mins and Carnoustie had a glorious chance to pull a goal back, a looping cross came into the Broughty box at the far post but the Carnoustie forward miss-headered the ball and the chance was gone. H/T 0-2.

The second half was 7mins old and that man again, Winter, chanced his luck with another free-kick from 20yrds out but it was saved and spilt by the Carnoustie keeper but cleared to safety. 56mins and Broughty were racking up the efforts on goal, Kevin Milne this time heading wide of the post unchallenged in the box from a corner. Then just after the hour mark, Broughty scored their third of the game, Milne stabbing the ball into the corner of the net for his first after a great run down the left side, 0-3.

66mins and Milne tried again, Winter fed him the ball but his shot was saved and out for a corner. The resulting corner was swung into the box and defender Graham Hay was there to power home Broughty’s fourth of the game, 0-4. 68mins and Carnoustie hit the post with a deflected effort from 15yrds out. 69mins and Derryn Kesson broke upfield, fed to McConnachie and he played in Milne but his effort curled wide of the post and out.

72mins and Carnoustie had another chance, this time heading wide from a right-sided cross. But two minutes later they finally got on the scoresheet slotting home past Ross, 1-4. With seven mins to go Carnoustie doubled their tally courtesy of a penalty sending Ross the wrong way, 2-4. Thinking they could maybe sneak something out of the game, Carnoustie pressed upfield for a third but all hopes were dashed on 87mins when a spectacular 20yrd free-kick from Milne landed in the top corner to kill off the game, 2-5. And in the dying minutes, Milne completed his hat-trick slotting past the out-rushing Carnoustie keeper to make it six for the Fed. With virtually the last kick of the ball, substitute Fraser Smith skimmed the outside of the post with his effort. F/T 2-6.

Summing up, a great result for the Fed, if not for saves and missed efforts it could have been more. Carnoustie will be kicking themselves for a number of chances they created but just couldn’t find the net despite their two late goals. Broughty played well, passed well and deserved to run out comfortable winners in the end.

Man of the Match for the Fed, very hard one to choose from, Hay at the heart of the defence dealt with everything that came his way. McWalter in the middle of the park gave his all across the park. Usually, you’d think it would go to the striker that scored a great hat-trick of goals, Kevin Milne, but after much deliberation with the club management, one player that outshone him even, after slicing through the opposition time after time despite being under constant heavy challenges, he put in an all-round superb performance, it goes to Derryn Kesson.

F/T: Carnoustie Panmure 2-6 BAJFC Scorers: Milne 3, Winter 2, Hay.

Team: Ross, Blair, Hay, Suttie, McNaughton, Winter, Liversedge, Kesson, McWalter, Milne, McConnachie.

Subs used: Kenneth on for Suttie, Smith on for Liversedge.