A below par performance by Broughty Athletic saw them crash out of the GA Engineering Cup semi-final to lower league opposition Jeanfield Swifts 2-1 at Whitton Park.

With Broughty fresh off a 4-1 away win at Penicuik and Swifts a 5-1 thumping at Bathgate, a cracking tie was in store for both teams and watching fans, but it wasn’t to be. Broughty started without Brian Clark who was cup-tied so in came Paul Lunan in the midfield to the side that won away at Penicuik.DSC_0031 (2)

Two wasteful headers inside the first 7mins set the tone for the remainder of the game for the home side. With 11mins on the clock, Kevin Buchan’s  (pictured right) low shot went the wrong side of the post after being put through by Grant Lawson. Swift’s first chance on goal saw a free-kick headed over the bar. Then on 19mins, the away side took the lead courtesy of the penalty spot,0-1. 22mins gone and another chance fell to Jeanfield but the free-kick was wide of the goalpost.

Then on 39mins Broughty levelled via the penalty spot as Paul Lunan was shoved off the ball in the penalty area, Kevin Buchan slotting home to level the scores,1-1. Then just before the halftime whistle, a Jeanfield break saw their shot hit the side netting. H/T 1-1.

The second half was only seconds old when Broughty lost Bastien Wibaut (pictured below) to injury, being replaced by Dougie Cameron. On 56mins, Kevin Buchan had Broughty’s only chance of the second half to score but his header from a corner skimmed past the post. Jeanfield got their deserved winner on 72mins following a clearance from a Broughty corner, racing up the park, a choice of Jeanfield players to play to and slammed home into the far corner,1-2.

DSC_0194 (2)

A further break up the park on 85mins for the away side saw them four onto one but Iain Ross saved well. A minute later Broughty were reduced to 10 men when substitute Dougie Cameron was sent off for his second yellow card and there was no way back for Broughty.

Summing up… A dull game with very few chances. A very poor performance by the home side in the semi-finals of their clubs’ main sponsor. A far cry from the performance against Penicuik four days earlier. Give Jeanfield Swifts their credit, though, by far the better team who wanted it more and fought for every ball. They were hungry and up for a place in the final, Broughty were not. Swifts goalkeeper caught the ball once and picked the ball out of the net from Broughty’s penalty, sum’s up the night for the home side.

Match photo’s available in the ‘PHOTOS’ section of the website…