Match action photos of Broughty Athletic’s 2-1 home win over Jeanfield Swifts on Saturday are now available to view in the ‘MATCH PHOTOS’ section of the website.

Once again all photos are courtesy of our official club photographer Sean Dee Photography

The main picture above is of BAJFC defender Graham Hay challenging for the ball during the game, whilst having taken over the captains armband from Saturday’s starting captain of the team, Garry Kenneth, who went off injured during the first half.

19th August 2017
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Broughty Athletic survived a second half comeback by visitors Jeanfield Swifts as they held on to win 2-1 at Whitton Park in the Super League but at a price, losing two valuable players to injuries.

The Fed went into this game with a couple of changes, missing was goalkeeper Iain Ross so in came John Sinclair and what a saviour he turned out to be. Captain Jamie Winter had to be content with a place on the bench being replaced by Derryn Kesson for his first start. Defender Garry Kenneth wore the captain’s armband for the first time.

The winds were howling across Whitton Park as both sides failed to get the ball down and keep it in the park in the opening minutes of the game. Broughty’s Paul McLellan was first to test the Swifts defence, he cut in and let go a shot but it flew wide of the goal post on 8mins. Next up on 15mins was Brian Clark, his deflected shot was saved by the Swifts keeper. Broughty were still pressing and on 20mins Fraser Smith saw his 20yrd effort saved also.

Then the deadlock was finally broken on 32mins when Derryn Kesson was brought down in the Jeanfield box after turning his markers inside out. McLellan stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way, 1-0 to Broughty. Broughty then lost defender Garry Kenneth to an injury and was replaced by Greig McNaughton. It was McNaughton who had the last effort on goal, his header from a corner was high and wide over the bar. H/T 1-0.

The second half was only four minutes old when Broughty doubled their lead. And it was that man again, Derryn Kesson, turning his marker inside out and sent his looping cross into the box only to see it hit the far post and into the net it went, 2-0. On 58mins a surging run from Ryan Suttie saw his cross into the box hit the crossbar with the keeper beaten. 65mins saw Broughty lose their second player to injury, Fraser Smith going off to be replaced by Stuart McConnachie.

66mins and following the majority of possession in the second half, Jeanfield saw an effort go the wrong side of the goalpost with Sinclair beaten. 71mins a break in Jeanfields possession saw Kesson rifle a shot goalwards only to see it saved once again. 74mins it was Kessonagain, shooting over the bar from a McLellan cross on the right.

Jeanfield never gave up and kept battling away and nearly pulled a goal back only for Ryan Suttie to clear it off the line. But as they kept on knocking on the Broughty door, you knew a goal was coming and it did finally on 88mins when a low cross was stabbed home past Sinclair, 2-1. This upped Jeanfield’s tempo and they pressed and pressed for an equaliser. Within 60 seconds they should have scored but again their effort skimmed the wrong side of the post and out. Broughty were nervous, very nervous, Jeanfield sensed this and remarkably were awarded a penalty two minutes into added time. But John Sinclair in the Broughty goal dived to his left, got his fingers to the ball, pushed it onto the post and it was eventually cleared as the final whistle blew. F/T 2-1

Summing up, Not the prettiest of games of football for the watching eye. Neither side could make two passes in a row in the opening minutes of the game. Broughty threatened several times in the first half and reduced Jeanfield to virtually nothing as in chances on goal. Different story second half, Jeanfield dominated possession and spent the majority of the half camped inside Broughty’s half. Swifts will be gutted to leave without a point, on their second half showing and Broughty’s poor showing, they deserved a point but for their missed penalty.

It was said several times after Broughty’s midweek 1-0 defeat that they will play worse and win, today showed that at Whitton Park.

Man of the Match, only one winner and name for this. Made his starting debut after coming on midweek and glancing past the opposition, secured the penalty, scored the second and fitted well into the game, it goes to Derryn Kesson (pictured above).

Venue Information

Whitton Park