Broughty Athletic manager Keith Gibson gives us his thoughts on the 5-2 GA Engineering Cup win over visitors Blairgowrie JFC on Saturday. Read below what he had to say about the game, his side’s performance and the return of long-term absentee Grant Lawson

“It was great to get back to winning ways on Saturday after last week’s disappointing result against Carnoustie. Blairgowrie are going well in their league so it was always a game that was going to be tough but in the end, it turned out a comfortable win.

We started the game pretty well and dominated possession but we only created a few chances. Credit to Blairgowrie who sat in and defended really well. Although we went in at half time 2-0 up with goals from Jay Smart and Paul McLellan, I wasn’t entirely happy after Blair had a 5/10 minute spell where they put us under a bit of pressure and created a couple of chances.

At halftime, we stressed to the players to move the ball sharper and to be patient at the same time. We started the second half at a decent tempo and had some really sharp passing in and around the box. We scored another 2 decent goals courtesy of Matty Adam and Jamie Winter and were totally in control. But in football, it can change so quickly and we switched off and lost a terrible goal which was really disappointing. We then lost a penalty right after conceding the first goal but to be fair for me it’s never a penalty and I’m not sure what the referee see’s? After this, we then get back focused and we could have gone on and scored more, despite missing a penalty, after our 5th goal from James Collier.

Summing up, Saturday could have been a potential banana skin but again the player’s attitude and work rate were excellent and we’re through to the next round. The only disappointing thing for me was we stopped concentrating once we went 4-0 up and conceded 2 goals which take a shine off the overall performance. There was a lot of positives to take from yesterday also and probably the biggest one was Grant Lawson getting 30 minutes game time. He’s worked hard while he’s been out injured and it’s been a tough time for him but his attitude has been different class while he has been out. He’ll continue to train hard to get himself up to match speed to challenge for a starting place in the team. John Sinclair got another 90 minutes under his belt in the goal and he looked composed throughout and was really unlucky not to save the penalty, he is developing very well and is improving all the time.

Next week we’re on Cup duty again against Johnstone Burgh in the Scottish. I’ve had a brief report on them and again it’s going to be a tough game. We want to do better than we did last year in the Scottish after going out in the first round to Cumnock. As always we’ll train hard this week and have the players prepared…”