Broughty Athletic manager Jamie McCunnie gives us his thoughts on his side’s hard-fought, but very wet, 4-2 Super League win against visitors Kennoway Star Hearts in treacherous conditions at Whitton Park on Saturday. Read below what he had to say…

“I’m absolutely delighted with the three points and performance on Saturday in what was a tricky afternoon on a soaking wet pitch. The game was never going to be one for the purists, however, we managed to battle when needed and also scored a couple of very impressive goals which was even more pleasing.

Chuffed for Chris Liversedge who opened the scoring with a great individual effort. He has really done well of late and it was great to see him get his reward with an excellent run into the box and finish, totally deserved. We battled and doubled our lead when Jamie Winter scored from the spot after a great run from midfield, forcing the defender to make a rash tackle in the box, not the best idea on a pitch like it was. We deserved our lead though but we were thankful to our keeper Chris McPherson, he pulled off some saves to keep us in it.

In the second half, our stand-in captain Brian Clark scored another impressive individual effort, which was pleasing, I’ve told the guys if you see the chance, take it, which Brian did. And to wrap it up Jordan Garden scored on his debut for the club, a well-taken effort when rushing in on the keeper. He and young Taylor Berry have come in lately and freshened things up and there is now real competition for places in the starting eleven and squad.

We had a disappointment before kick off when we lost Hayzer (Graham Hay) through injury, we shuffled the pack a tad, I went in at centre-half alongside another new signing of ours, Gregor Anderson (pictured left). He played a great game like he’d been here all season, I’m pleased for him and his performance as I am with all the lads.

Overall very pleased and delighted with the result despite the weather conditions, it was a terrible day for it but we cracked on. Special mentions must also go out the committee at the club who had been at the park from early on getting things ready. The pitch was looking great considering it was covered in snow only days earlier, we inspected it ourselves but on the safe side brought in a local referee to get a second opinion and it was game on, although it needs a rest now for a week or two!

Next week we have a tough away trip at Penicuik Athletic, they are sitting top of the league for a reason and deserve to be there but all I can ask for again is the same effort and attitude from the players in what will probably be similar difficult conditions and we’ll see what happens come Saturday…”