Broughty Athletic manager, Keith Gibson, reflects back on his side’s narrow 2-1 away defeat at the hands of Linlithgow Rose at Prestonfield Park on Saturday. Despite falling behind midway through the first half, his side equalized just before halftime courtesy of striker Bryan Duell. But a bizarre sending off and conceding the winner later in the half thwarted any chance The Fed had of taking any points back home.

Here’s what the gaffer had to say…

“I felt we started the game quite well on Saturday, creating a couple of half-chances and had several corners to put Linlithgow under pressure. But it was so disappointing to lose the goal we did as it was straight after our attack down the other end of the park. Linlithgow were coming more into the game so we changed our formation and after that, I felt we were on top and scored a deserved equaliser.

We went into the second half and you could see the confidence building in the players and the momentum was with us and limited Linlithgow to a couple of half chances. For me, the sending off has cost us taking anything from the game sadly. It was one of the most bizarre sending offs I have ever seen in my playing/managerial career, so I need to watch what I’m saying without getting into trouble with the authorities. Hopefully, possible video footage is available and will help clear the matter up, sooner rather than later.Bastien

Linlithgow are a very good team and it’s hard enough with playing against them with eleven players never mind ten! I have nothing but praise for my players as they put everything into the game, even when we went 2-1 down we were still in the game. But we need to start turning these defeats into victories and get some points on the board.

There are lots of positives from Saturday’s game again, in particular, I thought Bastien Wibaut (pictured left) was excellent in his competitive debut for the club, partnering Barry Myles in the heart of the defence. The players need to take belief from the game and carry that into our future performances. As always, we’ll work hard again this week in preparation for next week’s tough GA Engineering cup tie up north with Stonehaven FC…”


Leave a Reply