Broughty Athletic manager Keith Gibson spoke of his delight following his side’s 5-1 GA Engineering Cup quarter-final win over Aberdeen side, Hermes JFC on Saturday at Whitton Park. Read below what he had to say about the result and performance of his side…

“Saturday’s game against Hermes was always going to be a potential banana skin for us but we made the players well aware of this before the game. Hermes have already beaten Jeanfield Swifts and Forfar West End this season in cup competitions so we knew they’d be a threat. We put our, as some would say, and keep saying, ‘poor league form’ behind us and concentrated on the game ahead as it was a one-off game in the cup.

We got off to the best possible start with two early goals courtesy of Ross McCord (pictured left) and Grant Lawson. Our tempo and the way we went about our business for the first 30 minutes of the first half was great and to be honest, we probably could have scored more. Hermes were very physical and aggressive in their play and they came into the game the last 15 minutes and hit the post and made our keeper Iain Ross pull off a great save so it was great to go in two goals up at half time.

At halftime, we stressed to the players to keep their discipline and not get caught up with things. In the second half, we totally controlled the game from the kickoff. Although we had a slight setback when coasting at 3-0 after Shaka Roy grabbed his first goal for the club, we could and should have made it 4-0 with Hermes being down to ten men but Hermes broke and went straight up the park and won a penalty resulting in Ryan Blair being sent off. This made the game 3-1 but we got a quick response to go 4-1 up through a fine Kevin Buchan strike (picture below). We played some really good stuff on a difficult Whitton Park surface and we’re delighted to be in the next round which was the aim at the start of the day.

There were lots of positives to take from the game individually and collectively as a team, but we’re not getting carried away. The team spirit was great again yesterday and going forward we need everyone pulling in the right direction. We have a big league game next week against Dundonald Bluebell, at Whitton Park, who had an excellent 5-0 result in the league, away to Fauldhouse United, and are a very good side.

We have a couple of injury concerns with Ross McCord, he had to make a trip to A&E with swelling to his shin and after first assessments, he may be out for a couple of weeks which would be a big blow for us. Ryan Suttie had to come off later in the second half, being replaced by Barry Myles, with a niggle he has had with his groin for weeks so we’ll assess him this week. A big positive though is Danny Cavanagh came on for the last 30 minutes today after being out with a broken hand and done well during his time on the pitch and Brian Clark will return to light training this week having been out for the last few weeks…”