Broughty Athletic were nine minutes away from a crucial Super League win when the home side, Newtongrange Star, equalised to share the points in today’s 1-1 league encounter.

The Fed were looking for a league win following two recent draws against Linlithgow Rose and Jeanfield Swifts so opted with starting Kevin Buchan alongside Stewart McConnachie in the attack. In came Barry Myles to partner Ryan Suttie in the heart of the defence. Missing through suspension was Ross McCord.

From the kick off it was the home side that pressed up the parked and forced a couple of corners in the opening minutes without testing Iain Ross in the Broughty goal. On 9mins Broughty missed a great chance, Kevin Buchan making a run down the left wing, he cut a low cross into the box but McConnachie was just a second too late to make a connection with the ball. 12mins a Jamie Winter free kick found Ryan Suttie but he shot over the bar from close range.

14mins on the clock and Newtongrange broke down the left but the shot was blocked by Suttie forcing Ross to save the deflection at the near post and out for a corner. 17mins and the home side struck again, this time shooting wide of the goal. 21mins and Winter found space, took his shot only for it to be saved with McConnachie failing to convert the rebound. Then on 35mins Broughty should have taken the lead, Paul McLellan raced down the left side, crossed the ball into the box but somehow striker Buchan headed over the bar when a goal looked certain.

But within 60secs the deadlock was finally broken by the visitors. Jamie Winter found space 25yrds out and unleashed a shot that flew over the home keeper into the far top corner of the net, 0-1. Iain Ross was called into action, saving a fantastic effort from Star long range strike before halftime. H/T 0-0.

Second half and the home side upped the pressure from the off. Ross again made a great save at his feet as the Star striker was through on goal one on one, but the far side linesman flagged for offside. 57mins and McConnachie’s flick on header found McLellan but his weak shot went well wide of the goal. On the hour mark, Buchan had another chance as he bore down on goal only to see his shot saved. 63mins and Newtongrange missed a chance with a header going the wrong side of the post from a corner.

On 80mins, the home side were pushing and pushing up the park with more possession. They broke down the left side, a low cross came into the Broughty box but it was shot high over the bar. But within 60secs the eventual equaliser came. Broughty failed to fully clear a Newtongrange cross, the ball went out to the right side and was swung in low into the box with the Star player just beating a sliding Barry Myles to the ball and flicking it past Ross in the goal, 1-1. Then in the dying minutes of injury time, a long goal-kick from Ross was knocked on from substitute James Collier into the path of Grant Lawson but his shot skimmed over the bar. F/T 1-1

Summing up, not the best of games, with the match official too happy to constantly blow his whistle and show the yellow card to both sides. Broughty were decent in the first half but slower and second to the ball in the second half as Newtongrange pressed and went for it. Some great play at times but more mistakes were creeping in throughout the team. Should have had the game buried at halftime if the chances went in. Full credit to the home side who battled away and will be happy with a point.

Man of the match for Broughty, a hard one as no one really stood out as such, decent display from Ryan Suttie again in defence, Iain Ross pulled off a couple of crucial saves when needed, but for starting up front and battling away, holding the ball up well, getting into positions and all round putting in a shift, it goes to Stewart McConnachie.

F/T : Newtongrange Star (81mins) 1-1 BAJFC (Winter 36mins)

The main picture above is Newtongrange Star equalising in the 81st minute of the game. Match photos available to view early tomorrow…