Broughty Athletic and local rivals Lochee United battled out a 1-1 draw tonight at Whitton Park in Broughty’s last Super League game of the season. Making his first start this year for the side was Paul McLellan. Missing through illness was Gregor Anderson for the second game in a row. Chris McPherson replaced the injured John Sinclair in the goal.

First half chance of the game came on 10mins when a Fed corner was swung in and captain Graham Hay headed over the bar. 17mins on the clock and former Broughty winger Grant Lawson tried a curling effort but it went wide of McPherson’s goalpost. 19mins and another Fed corner saw player/manager Jamie McCunnie head over from close range. 35mins and Brian Clark skipped past two markers and shot from close range bringing out a great save from the Lochee keeper but Derryn Kesson could do nothing with the rebound.

Two minutes before halftime and a Lochee corner was headed wide of the post. Then the final effort of the first half fell to Kesson, he waltzed past three Lochee players and swung his cross over but it was adjudged to have crossed the line and out of play. H/T 0-0

First real chance of the second half came on 54mins for Lochee, a close-range shot inside the eighteen-yard box was fingered tipped saved low on the ground by McPherson and out for a corner. Broughty lost goalkeeper Chris McPherson to injury on the hour mark so midfielder Fraser Smith, already playing as a makeshift centre-half, took the keepers jersey and went in the Fed goal. Then the deadlock was finally broken on 70mins and it went to the home side, Fed striker Kevin Milne scored a wonder goal, a 25yrd screamer lobbing the visiting keeper to put his side ahead, 1-0.

But battling Lochee kept ploughing away and nearly got their equaliser on 84mins but a close-range stabbed effort soared into the sky as the Broughty defence were beaten. But on 89mins they finally got their deserved equaliser after Smith saved the Fed on a couple of occasions but this time a cross into the box was half punched clear and fell to the Lochee striker who bundled it home from a couple of yards out, 1-1. Lochee then pressed for a winner knowing the keeper situation but Broughty kept them at bay to finish the game and their season.

Man of the Match, goes straight to Fraser Smith for firstly playing in a defence roll yet again and then for the keeper duties and pulling off a couple of important saves towards the end.

Summing up, not the best of games in the first half, very limited chances for either side but competitive between the players. A couple of half chances for Broughty with keeper McPherson not really called into action. It was a better second half for the watching eye as the game went on. A dramatic finale with the Fed keeper situation but the boys did well.

Team: McPherson, McCunnie, Smith, McNaughton, Hay, Blair, Kesson, Clark, Winter, Milne, McLellan

Subs used: Cavanagh for McPherson, Garden for Kesson, Liversedge for Milne