Interim manager Jamie McCunnie saw his side go down 4-1 away to Linlithgow Rose in his last game in charge of the Fed this afternoon.

Having taken over the reigns at the start of the season, winning three of their first four games, Jamie has seen his side lose their third on the trot in the league and their fourth in all competitions. The club announced a new manager on Thursday, Jim Finlayson, but he and his backroom staff took in the game as Jamie took charge.

Back from his holiday came Ryan Suttie, starting the game on the bench, so Barry Myles partnered Graham Hay in the centre of defence. Trialist Logan Davie started his second game in the midfield alongside fellow trialist and former player Ross McCord.

The first chance of the game fell to Fed striker Kevin Milne on 3mins but he headed wide from a McCord cross into the box. Rose had their first real effort on goal on 7mins, a corner was cleared to the edge of the box but a rasping shot skimmed the Fed crossbar and out. 13mins and Paul McLellan saw his weak effort easily go the wrong side of the post and out. 23mins and another Rose shot from the right side went wide of Ross in the Fed’s goal. Another effort from the home side 60secs later went wide of the post.

The deadlock was broken on 27mins with Broughty losing possession deep in their own half on the edge of their box, unable to pass the ball around, possession was quickly lost and the ball was slotted home past Ross, 1-0. 32mins and Ross was called into action again, this time palming away a 25yrd free-kick which was heading for the top corner. The resulting corner was headed wide of the lost. 

But one minute later Rose doubled their lead with a cross from the left side tapped home by striker Tommy Coyne, 2-0. Then on 39mins, the game was over for the Fed as halftime approached. A long ball from the home keeper saw Ross rush out of his box but miss the ball and it was slotted home to make it 3-0. H/T 3-0.

The second half was 5mins old and Broughty started brightly, when trialist Logan Davie shot over the bar from 20yrds out. 52mins and McLellan’s effort was tipped over the bar from close range. The resulting corner was headed over by Hay. 57mins McCord sent over a low cross, Kevin Milne collected the ball, spun his marker and shot goalwards, it was saved and Barry Myles stabbed the ball goalwards only for the home keeper to save again.

58mins and Rose tried their luck shooting from 20yrds out but Ross saved easily. On the hour mark, Kieran McWalter fed in McCord on the right but his chipped over just skimmed over the crossbar and out. 67mins and the Fed were still pushing for the goal, Winter saw his cross headed wide again by Milne in the box. 60secs later Rose broke upfield, slicing through the Fed but Ross saved well when a goal looked certain. Seconds later Ross was called in again, this time saving with his foot. 

72mins and McCord crossed at the far side of the Rose box only for Davie to volley the ball over and out of the park. Then the game was well and truly over for the Fed when a Coyne shot was blocked by Hay and McNaughton only for him to square the rebound across goal for an easy tap in to make it 4-0. 81mins and the home side nearly had their fifth goal from a diving header but Ross saved well. 

88mins and Davie tried his luck again, this time a 18yrd curling effort went wide of the top corner and out. One minute later the same player saw his 20yrd shot saved easily. On 90mins Broughty thought they’d pulled a goal back but substitute Dayle Robertson was adjudged to be offside when he tapped home the ball into the net. But 60secs later Robertson made sure he scored, he collected the ball on the left side, skinned one player, then a second player and slammed the ball into the back of the net in the final act of the game. F/T 4-1.

F/T Linlithgow Rose 4-1 BAJFC – Scorer: Robertson.

Summing up, the Fed started brightly and matched their opponents in the first 27mins until the first goal. Then a poor nine minutes saw them three down before halftime and no way back. Again they started the second half well and were on top, to begin with, chances were created but not taken bar Robertson’s great solo effort at the end. New manager Jim Finlayson now gets his hands into the squad at training on Tuesday night with Jamie McCunnie returning back to full training with the squad.

Man of the Match for the Fed, only one contender for this, striker Kevin Milne for his non-stop effort and running for the ball the whole game, the only guy that gave his all.

Team: Ross, Blair, Hay, Myles, McNaughton, Winter, McWalter, Davie(trialist), McCord(trialist), McLellan, Milne.

Subs used: Suttie for Myles, Robertson for McLellan, McConnachie for McLellan.