Broughty Athletic let a 1-0 first-half lead and commanding performance slip as visitors Dundonald battled back in the second half to take the points home in a 3-1 win at Whitton Park today.

The Fed went into the game on looking for their first win since early November, a 2-1 away win at Sauchie but knew their opponents would be well up for the challenge but after the first half showing you would have thoughts the points were staying in the city.

The Fed were first to test the goalkeepers, captain Graham Hay twisting and turning his marker and letting rip a fierce shot from 10yrds out goalwards only for the Dundonald keeper to pull off a save over the bar. Despite decent play between the sides, the next point of note was a penalty awarded to the home side after Fraser Smith was hauled down in the box on 14mins. Defender Jamie McCunnie stepped up and slammed the ball into the net for a 1-0 lead.

20mins on the clock and the Dundonald striker was played through on goal with only out-rushing Fed keeper John Sinclair to beat, but his effort smashed the face of the keeper and was cleared on the edge of the box as the match official signalled for offside. 31mins and Brian Clark tried his luck from 25yrds out but it went well wide of the post.

Then on 39mins Broughty thought they’d doubled their lead when Stewart McConnachie fed the ball to Liam McCartney, he lobbed the keeper and as the ball flew into the net he too was ruled offside. No more chances of note as Broughty held out comfortably to the halftime whistle. H/T 1-0

The second half was seven minutes old and Dundonald showed their intent of a comeback and tried their luck but for keeper Sinclair to pull off a great save at his near post. More pressure from the visitors and you knew the equaliser was coming and it did on 59mins. Hay blocked a shot just inside the box but the rebound was curled goalwards, Sinclair pulled off a fantastic one-handed save only for the ball to fall at the feet of the waiting Bluebell player to stab home, 1-1.

On 73mins the visitors took the lead as they pressed Broughty further back. A free-kick conceded by Ryan Blair was swung into the box, it bobbled around the six-yard area and with no Broughty defender clearing the ball it was again stabbed home past Sinclair, 1-2. Five minutes later and the game was over for the home side as Dundonald clinched their third and final goal. A cross from the left side was hit home past a helpless Sinclair in the goal, 1-3.

79mins substitute Kevin Milne put the ball into the path of Brian Clark but his effort went past the out-rushing Bluebell keeper but the wrong side of the goalpost and out for a goal-kick. A minute later Broughty tried again, this time Milne supplying McConnachie but his weak effort was easily saved. To rub salt into Broughty’s wounds, midfielder Kieran McWalter was shown a second yellow card for rushing into his opposing player despite not touching him the match official sent him packing. F/T 1-3.

Summing up, definitely a game of two halves today. Broughty were in command of the first half and deserved their 1-0 lead. Dundonald really never had a shot or effort on target, just some crosses which Sinclair saved easily. But a different side came out for the second half, from both sides, with the visitors being the ones who were up for it and taking control. Broughty helped them along the way with a couple of costly mistakes, not clearing the ball in the keepers’ box to condemn them to their second league defeat in a row.

Team: Sinclair, McCunnie, Hay, Suttie, Blair, Winter, Smith, McWalter, McConnachie, McCartney, Clark.