Broughty Athletic manager Keith Gibson was a happy man when he sat down with our Website Admin team after his side’s second victory away from home in four days. Read below what he had to say on the recent 2-1 win over Musselburgh Athletic on Saturday…

“After Wednesday night’s great result away to Broxburn Athletic, the players had little time to recover going into Saturday’s game versus Musselburgh. We were carrying players with a couple of knocks and a bit of fatigue and the long journey didn’t help either. We shortened the warm up and the intensity for going into the game. Musselburgh are fighting for their lives at the bottom end of the Super League and just one win would see them maintain their status for next season so we were well aware that they had everything to play for and that they would come out the traps right from kick off. We also have got everything to play for, people just expected us to turn up and be beaten as there is nothing to play for.

We spoke to the players regarding a target we want to get to in the next 3 league games, we don’t want to switch off and think the jobs done, we want to try and finish as high as we can in the league. We went into the game with a game plan that we felt would give us a chance of winning the game and the players were excellent in implementing it. We were still missing Danny Cavanagh and Jamie Winter, we brought in Drew Fleming and rested Ryan Suttie.

In the first half we were playing into a strong wind at the Olivebank Stadium and it was difficult to get the ball down and play, especially with Musselburgh flooding the midfield area, but we looked comfortable and defended very well. They had 3 or 4 corners but we dealt with them well and to get to half time level I always felt we could go on and win the game in the second half.

We started the second half really well and got in behind the Musselburgh defence and caused them problems. We were up on to things and the momentum was with us. We scored through a penalty from Ross McCord and after that, we managed the game very well but full credit to Musselburgh, they put us under a bit of pressure and John Sinclair in our goal pulled off an excellent save after a mix up in our defence. We scored our second goal late on in the game, a very well worked goal on the counter attack where Paul McLellan unselfishly slipped in Shaka Roy to finish. The only disappointing thing was not securing another clean sheet away from home as the players and John Sinclair defended well throughout yesterday’s game.

We’ve got a bit of momentum now and with us having a date for the GA Engineering Cup final, every player will be wanting to get a starting position in the team for that day. We play second-placed Bonnyrigg next week, at Whitton Park, who are still in with a massive chance of the league title. The game will be a big test for us but I believe if we can go about our business the way we have the last 2 games we can hopefully take something from it…”