Broughty Athletic are GA Engineering Cup champions following an emphatic 5-1 win over Tayport at Tannadice Park this afternoon. 

Broughty went into the game minus striker Shaka Roy and defenders Barry Myles and Frankie Lannen. Roy was away on holiday as was Myles and Lannen had work commitments. So knowing this, Fed manager Keith Gibson drafted back in striker Matty Adam and James Collier who both are still signed at the club but took time away from football to concentrate and studies and work. 

Tannadice Park was ready, the players were ready and what a performance they put in during the ninety minutes of play. First to try his luck on 3mins was Grant Lawson who ran goalwards only to see his shot hit the side netting. Two minutes later Tayport saw their first effort headed high over the bar. Despite Tayport having more possession early on in the half, it was Broughty that broke the deadlock on 22mins courtesy of the penalty spot.

Lawson saw his shot in the box blocked and Stewart McConnachie went to hit the rebound only to be upheld in the box and the penalty was awarded. Up stepped Ross McCord to rattle home his thirteenth goal of the season, 1-0. 28mins on the clock and Tayport had a great chance to level matters on 28mins only to see Broughty’s Jay Smart blocked the goalbound effort and clear it away. Again slightly more possession by the away side didn’t really trouble Iain Ross in the Fed goal as Broughty went in at halftime 1-0 to the good. H/T 1-0.

The second half was two minutes old when Tayport recorded another effort on goal, this time a miskick saw the effort go wide of the post where a full connection could have brought an equaliser. 57mins and Broughty started to push up field and take more possession of the ball. A Jamie Winter free-kick found the head of Jay Smart but he headed wide. But 60secs later Broughty doubled their lead. Lawson was fed the ball inside the Tayport box and lobbed the keeper with the ball nestling in the far corner of the net despite McConnachie scurrying with his defender to make sure it was in, 2-0.

On the hour mark, it was game over as Broughty scored their third courtesy of Lawson again. This time he collected the ball 12yrds out from goal and slotted home his second of the match, 3-0. On 66mins a spectacular effort from Fed captain Jamie Winter from about 40yrds out saw the ball rattle the Tayport crossbar and cleared. What a goal that could have been from the captain.

On 69mins Tayport rallied back, scoring courtesy of a Ryan Suttie miskick from a cross into the box with the ball flying over Ross in the goal to make it 3-1. Then on 72mins Tayport, rejuvenated by their goal, were reduced to 10 men following a red card for their player punching the ball away after disagreeing with the referee’s decision on a challenge against substitute Danny Cavanagh. On 78mins Iain Ross in the Fed goal pulled off a great two-handed save, parrying a blistering 25yrd free kick over the bar.

Then from a Tayport corner on 82mins Broughty broke upfield and scored their fourth of the game. Substitute Matty Adam found himself on the right side of the pitch with the ball from another substitute, James Collier, and his inch-perfect pass to a sprinting Paul McLellan who ran half the length of the pitch to slot home past the Port keeper, 4-1. Then within 90secs Broughty completed the scoring with their fifth goal after McLellan was fouled in the Port box. The ball was handed to Grant Lawson to go for his hat-trick, but the Port keeper had other idea’s and pulled off a great save only to see the far side assistant referee signal to say he encroached the area as Lawson took his kick. The referee awarded the kick to be retaken and Lawson made no mistake this time as he slammed home his third goal and Broughty’s fifth to complete the scoring, 5-1.

Summing up, a nervous start to the game with Tayport dominating early possession but without troubling Ross in the goal. Once Broughty found their feet, especially in the second half, they produced a great display to win the Cup for the first time in three final appearances.

Man of the Match, only one winner here by far. He toyed with the Port defenders down the wings, put in a great shift and was rewarded with a great hat-trick of goals, it goes to Grant Lawson.

The photo above is of Broughty’s three goalscorers today, left Ross McCord, centre hat-trick hero Grant Lawson and Paul McLellan on the right…