Broughty Athletic suffered their fourth straight Super League defeat as they went down 3-1 to current league leaders Kelty Hearts this afternoon.

With Brian Clark and Jake Mair both out injured, James Collier made a place on the bench following his recent injury. Broughty welcomed back striker Stewart McConnachie to the squad following his recent loan move request. There was no place in the squad for midfielders Kerr Hay and Danny Cavanagh. Broughty also had a trialist goalkeeper on the bench, Josh Allerdyce, in place of injured John Sinclair.

Broughty started brightly against their hosts, forcing a couple of half chances on goal but things turned on 9mins when Kelty took the lead courtesy of a superb strike from all of 25yrds into the top corner of the net, easily beating Iain Ross in the goal, 1-0. 5mins later and the home side doubled their lead with a free header following a corner kick swung into the box (picture above), 2-0.

Kelty hit the bar on 24mins with another free header as they dominated the first half in possession. 27mins on the clock and Kelty hit the woodwork again, this time it was the post from a shot across the 18yrd box. On the half hour mark Broughty had a chance, Ryan Blair fed the ball through to Grant Lawson but his attempted lob over the outrushing Kelty keeper was easily saved. Then the final action of the half fell to the home side, Ross saved the 25yrd effort well and out for a corner. H/T 2-0.

In the second half Kelty continued where they left off, their first effort flew over the bar from a 25yrd effort on 53mins. Broughty’s Jamie Winter saw his long range effort fly wide of the post in a rare push up the park. Then on the hour mark, Kelty extended their lead with a shot from the edge of the box flying past Ross in the goal, 3-0. Broughty never gave up and substitute Stewart McConnachie’s snapshot from the edge of the box went wide of the post on 70mins.

72mins Matty Adam was put through one on one with a Kelty defender but his effort couldn’t beat the home keeper. Then on 75mins Broughty were awarded a penalty when Kane Hester was adjudged to be pulled back when looking to shoot on goal 10yrds out. Kelty defender Sean O’Neill was shown a red card for the challenge and Ross McCord stepped up to slam home the resulting penalty kick, 3-1. Then more drama on 81 mins when Broughty’s Paul McLellan was shown a second yellow card, for allegedly pushing the Kelty defender into the advertising boards around the pitch, which was followed by a red card, to sum up, a bad day at the office for him and his side.

Summing up, the stats will show several bookings and a red card for each side but it was by far from a dirty game. Kelty were very slick in their passing and play and at times strolled around the park. Broughty came into the match in the second half, especially later in the half but it was too late. It will take exceptional performance’s from other Super League teams to stop Kelty’s march to the league title this season for sure.

Broughty now take a break from their four-game Super League losing streak when they make the very short trip to local side Downfield JFC in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup next Saturday.

Match action photos will appear in the ‘MATCH PHOTOS’ section tomorrow…