Broughty Athletic ran out comfortable winners tonight, defeating hosts Hill of Beath at Keirs Park 3-1 in the Super League and thus moving the Fed up to sixth in the league table.

Broughty were dealt a blow when captain Jamie Winter couldn’t make the trip due to work commitments so in came defender Drew Fleming at centre-half with Jamie McCunnie captaining the side in the midfield role. Also back was goalkeeper Iain Ross who missed Saturday’s draw with Kelty Hearts, replacing John Sinclair.

Broughty keeper Iain Ross was tested within the first 60secs of kick off when HOB pressed down the right but the shot flew across Ross’s goal and out. On 10mins Broughty pressed and forced three corners but no chances on goal as HOB defended well. 18mins HOB tried again with a cross to the Broughty back post but the rushing in HOB player blasted the ball high into the sky and out of the park.

The deadlock was broken on 22mins and it went the way of the visitors. A Paul McLellan throw found Brian Clark on the edge of the HOB box and he turned and blasted the ball into the back of the far bottom corner of the net, 0-1. Despite dominating possession it took until 38mins for Broughty to test the home keeper when Shaka Roy tried his luck from the edge of the box but it was palmed away. H/T 0-1.

The second half was only three minutes old when HOB levelled, a corner was only cleared to the edge of the Broughty box and just before Clark was set to clear, a rasping shot from the HOB player flew past everyone and into the net, 1-1. 51mins and McLellan tried a 20yrd effort but it went well wide of the goal. On 56mins Broughty re-took the lead courtesy of a long kick out from Ross in the goal straight down the middle of the park where he found McLellan, he timed the bounce of the ball and volleyed it over the keeper into the net, 1-2.

Five minutes later and Broughty struck their third goal. Barry Myles found Stewart McConnachie, he passed his man and squared for Danny Cavanagh who swiped the ball into the net past the keeper, 1-3. 67mins and a HOB corner brought an easy save from Ross in the goal. 72mins and McConnachie pressed for the fourth goal but his 20yrd shot was blocked and cleared. One minute later a HOB cross from the right corner skimmed the Broughty crossbar and out.

77mins and Broughty substitute Ross McCord saw his 25yrd free-kick go the wrong side of the HOB goal post and out, with the keeper beaten. McCord tried his luck again on 81mins from 20yrds out but his shot was well saved. F/T 1-3.

Summing up, after a quick start from the home side, Broughty settled and took control of the game, especially the second half. The quick passing, the solid defending kept their hosts at bay. The goal conceded was a superb strike but apart from that, Broughty were comfortable gaining the three points.

Man of the Match, despite some great performances from the likes of Ryan Suttie, Danny Cavanagh and Stewart McConnachie, it goes to stand-in captain Jamie McCunnie who was superb for the 90 minutes.

F/T: Hill of Beath 1-3 BAJFC – Scorers: Clark, McLellan, Cavanagh