Broughty Athletic romped to a 4-1 away win over hosts Penicuik Athletic today with striker Kevin Buchan (pictured below) scoring a hat-trick in the process.

Broughty went into the game off the back of a scrappy 1-0 over St Andrews midweek and with a GA Engineering Cup semi-final this Wednesday looming, manager Keith Gibson made three changes to the starting eleven. In came defenders Jay Smart and Barry Myles with Brian Clark in the midfield. Rested were Dougie Cameron and Paul Lunan, who was on the bench. Jamie Winter captained the side.

Broughty started the game brightly and went on to dominate in chances and possession. The game was 4mins old when Bastien Wibaut’s low shot hit the side netting following a cross from Brian Clark. Then on 18mins, Grant Lawson’s low cross across the goal was cleared by the Penicuik defence with no Broughty takers. Then the next five minutes saw Broughty score three goals and wrap up the points.

DSC_0160 (2)A Broughty throw-in on 19mins was challenged by Kevin Buchan and two Penicuik defenders, but the ball fell kindly to Stewart McConnachie and he rattled home from inside the box, 0-1. Then on 22mins, a Broughty corner saw Jay Smart’s overhead kick fluffed and crossed by Barry Myles, it was partially saved by the keeper but dropped and Kevin Buchan was there to pounce and tap home, 0-2. Then on 23mins Broughty found themselves 3-0 up when McConnachie put Buchan through and he shot into the bottom left corner of the net, 0-3. On the half hour mark, Broughty were denied a stonewall penalty when Buchan was hauled down when bearing down on goal, no penalty, and no red card. Further headed chances by Jay Smart from corners could and should have had Broughty five up before the halftime whistle. H/T 0-3.

The second half saw Broughty lose Bastien Wibaut to illness so in came Jamie McCunnie as his replacement. The start was barely 60secs old when Broughty were on the scoresheet again. Fine play, one touch football, down the right ended with Buchan heading in Broughty’s fourth goal and completing his hat-trick, 0-4. 49mins on the clock and Buchan again had a great chance to score, his lob being saved one-handed by the Penicuik keeper. 55mins and again a penalty shout was turned down by the referee when Buchan was taken down in the box.

65mins and it was the turn of defender Jamie Sime to get in on the act of chances, his shot from Brian Clark’s corner being blocked as it headed goalwards. 71mins were on the clock when the home side had an effort on goal, the 25yrd shot flew over the bar. Then on 81 mins, Broughty’s Kevin Buchan saw his shot saved, Penicuik broke down the park and scored their only goal past Iain Ross, 1-4. Then in the dying seconds, Buchan was played through on goal but his shot was miskicked and out for a goal kick. F/T 1-4.

DSC_0393 (3)Summing up, some of the best football Broughty have played all season in the first half. They dominated the game and coasted through the first 45mins, scoring three great goals. Limited Penicuik to hardly any decent chances on goal with Jay Smart (pictured right) solid and controlling the defence. Second half they took their foot off the gas but still controlled the game, despite a couple of efforts and a goal from the home side. Special mentions to three other players today, Jamie Winter who along with, Ryan Suttie and Brian Clark ran the middle of the park and controlled everything that came their way. They all played superbly in a team playing good football with confidence and great play throughout the park.

37 match actions photos are available to view in the ‘PHOTOS’ section of the website. More action photo’s available to view by clicking on the link…

Up next for Broughty Athletic are Premier League side Jeanfield Swifts this Wednesday night in the semi-finals of the GA Engineering Cup at Whitton Park.