A shocking display saw Broughty Athletic crash out of the EOS Cup in the first round to local side East Craigie as they went down 4-1 at Whitton Park today. Full credit to our visitors, they out fought, out played and out muscled the Fed and each one of them fully deserved their win.

The Fed went into the game on the back of a 3-0 win in the league last Saturday and caretaker manager Jamie McCunnie was looking for a reaction from his squad against a team two divisions lower and who had seven goals put past them last Saturday.

A few changes were made to the side, some weren’t, due to some injuries. Missing were Ryan Suttie and Kieran McWalter who both were on holiday. Garry Kenneth started on the bench, making way for Drew Fleming to make his first start, partnering Graham Hay in the centre of defence.

The first minute of the game and Broughty pressed with the first chance on goal, Stewart McConnachie crossing for Kevin Milne who headed over the bar. 3mins and East Craigie had their first of many efforts, a shot from the edge of the box easily saved by Ross in the Broughty goal. Then the deadlock was broken on 6mins when a Craigie corner was headed in unchallenged past Ross, (pictured above) 0-1.

12mins and Paul McLellan saw his free kick skim over the bar from 20yrds out. 16mins and Craigie pressed for a second, this time their 20yrd effort was saved again. 20mins on the clock and Broughty drew level, Greig McNaughton tapping in and the far post, 1-1. 22mins and Brian Clark tried with a long-range effort but it flew over the crossbar. On the half hour mark, McLellan was put through one on one from Derryn Kesson but the Craigie keeper saved well.

33mins and Craigie retook the lead after slicing through the non-existent Broughty midfield to slot home their second of the game, 1-2. 38mins Milne again had a great chance from McNaughton’s cross but he headed over. H/T 1-2.

The second half was only three minutes old when Broughty should have equalised but ended up conceding their third goal. Kevin Milne saw his shot saved and out for a corner, in it came and Graham Hay’s header rattled the crossbar and was cleared. Craigie pressed upfield on the right side, Ross saved the initial shot, palming it onto the post but couldn’t help the resulting tap in, 1-3.

Then on 56mins, the game was over for Broughty as they conceded their fourth goal. Once again through the middle of the park and into the net, 1-4. On the hour mark, McLellan tried again with his free kick but it was saved once more. 82mins Milne was denied once again, his twisted and turned his marker in the box only to see his shot fly over. Then the final chance fell to Milne again but his flick header brought out a tremendous one handed save from the Craigie keeper. F/T 1-4.

Summing up, very bad day at the office for Broughty. Some players lacked effort and were punished by a bunch of young, energetic, enthusiastic and eager players in the Craigie side. Full credit to the Fed’s visitors who fully deserved their win and showed great character and professionalism throughout the game against their Super League opponents!

Man of the Match for the Fed today………………………………!

Final score: BAJFC 1-4 East Craigie – Scorer: McNaughton

Team: Ross, Blair, Fleming, Hay, McNaughton, Winter, McLellan, Clark, Kesson, McConnachie, Milne.

Subs used: Robertson on for Kesson, Kenneth on for Hay, Myles on for McNaughton.

Broughty will be looking to bounce back next Saturday as they welcome Camelon to Whitton Park in the Super League. Hopefully, a couple of injured players can return to training this week, Dayle Robertson came on in the second half of the defeat making his return from injury. Kick off is at 2-30pm Saturday 9th September.