Broughty Athletic hit visitors Bo’ness United for four goals today in a 4-1 win at a sun-drenched Whitton Park. The Fed were looking to bounce back from last Saturday’s heavy away defeat and they did that in style, playing their visitors off the park in stages throughout the game.

Interim manager Jamie McCunnie partnered captain Graham Hay alongside himself, Ryan Blair and Greig McNaughton in the heart of the defence. In came keeper Chris McPherson for his debut, replacing the ill John Sinclair, Chris Liversedge started and Kevin Milne was upfront on his own and there was a place on the bench for Paul McLellan.

Things started brightly for the home side as early as the opening minutes, they pressed Bo’ness back and Derryn Kesson was first to try his luck on 4mins as Graham Hay fed him the ball from an inswinging corner but his effort missed the goal. Bo’ness thought they’d scored on 12mins but it was rightly ruled offside. The resulting freekick was hoisted upfield by Hay which caught the visiting keeper out as he slipped coming out to collect the ball, missed it but it went the wrong side of the post.

17mins and a freekick into the Bo’ness box saw Chris Liversedge header the ball wide of the goal. But the deadlock was finally broken on 20mins. Jamie Winter played a perfect pass to Kevin Milne, he beat the offside trap by centimetres and slotted past the out-rushing keeper, 1-0. 24mins Bo’ness tried a 25yrd effort but it went high over the bar. 27mins Milne tried again but his shot was too weak and went wide of the post. 60secs later Bo’ness were up the park, a corner swung in but a back post header went wide.

On 35mins Bo’ness should have equalised but for a fantastic save by keeper Chris McPherson. They played down the left side, cut in and played the ball across the Broughty 6yrd box for their player to casually strike the ball goalwards only for McPherson to save at his feet and clear the ball. Bo’ness were reeling, no power in the shot, just a soft tap goalwards!

39mins Brian Clark tried an 18yrd effort but the keeper easily saved his shot. Kesson ran down the right side and cut in but his shot flew past the top corner of the goal and out. H/T 1-0

The second half was 8mins old when Broughty doubled their lead and what a goal it was. Ryan Blair crossed the ball from the left side and an unmarked Kesson volleyed home into the net from 12yrds out, 2-0. Another long-range effort from the visitors on 56mins brought nothing to worry about for keeper McPherson but three minutes later the Fed were reduced to ten men. Interim manager McCunnie, already booked earlier for dissent, pulled out of a challenge only for the Bo’ness forward to take a dive claiming he was tripped and off McCunnie went after being shown his second yellow card.

You would have thought that would make Broughty’s heads go down, wrong, the boys lifted their game and rightly went 3-0 ahead went a Jamie Winter penalty was slammed home following Kesson being brought down in the Bo’ness box. 70mins Bo’ness finally did get on the scoresheet after a good run down the left, a cut inside and a low shot slipped past McPherson in the goal, 3-1.

83mins and Bo’ness screamed for a penalty when their player went down easily under a shoulder challenge from Hay, the match official waved play on, rightly so. A minute later and Bo’ness saw a crossed slammed over the bar from 9yrds out when a goal looked certain as Broughty were getting pressed further back. But on 87mins it was game well and truly over for the visitors as Broughty slotted home their fourth goal courtesy of Brian Clark. McCartney faked a shot and the ball fell in front of Clark who slammed home, 4-1. The same player had the chance to double his tally 60secs later but his lob from outside the box flew over the out-rushing keepers head but skimmed the outside of the post. F/T 4-1

Summing up, a great result that the club needed. From start to finish the boys never gave up and took the game to their visitors and outplayed them in spells. Commanding in defence to an organised midfield with a couple of saves thrown in won them the game. Both halfs Broughty were more than comfortable in the game.

Man of the Match, a very hard one as a few players stood out. McPherson despite not having much to do in the goal pulled off a vital great save to keep the Fed ahead, Derryn Kesson twisted and turned his markers out for fun at times and scored a fantastic goal, defender Graham Hay dominated in the defence winning everything that came his way but after consultation with the management team it goes to Brian Clark, outstanding display, a joy to watch pushing upfront and topped off with a great fourth goal.

Team: McPherson, Blair, McCunnie, Hay, McNaughton, Winter, Smith, Kesson, Liversedge, Clark, Milne.

Match photos will appear tomorrow…