A depleted Broughty Athletic side finished their 2015/16 Super League season with a 2-1 home defeat to Fauldhouse United at Whitton Park tonight.

Looking for the last win in a great season for the Fed, manager Keith Gibson was without, through either injury or suspension, the likes of Jamie Winter, Jamie McCunnie, Paul Lunan, Kevin Buchan, Jake Mair, with Barry Myles and Stewart McConnachie both starting on the bench and carrying knocks.

There were starts again for Jay Smart, Derryn Kesson, and Keiron Ross, with Brian Clark upfront with Paul McLellan

2mins on the clock and Frankie Lannen fed Derryn Kesson but his hooked shot was wide of the post. 7mins and it was Grant Lawson, this time, seeing his curling effort saved well. Then on 21 mins it was the visitors that took the lead with a shot from the edge of the box,0-1. 24mins Ryan Suttie tried his luck but was well high over the crossbar. Then within a minute, Fauldhouse doubled their lead courtesy of a superb curling effort from just out the 18yrd box into the top corner of the net,0-2.

From a short Broughty corner, Grant Lawson saw his curling effort which was goalbound deflected onto the post and out for a corner. 43mins Fauldhouse should have scored their third, they were clean through on goal but Iain Ross saved well the first shot, with the rebound falling to the same striker he shot again only for Jay Smart to clear off the line. H/T 0-2.

The second half was constant pressure from the home side, pinning Fauldhouse back and limited to chances. Grant Lawson’s shot on 47mins was fisted away when a goal looked on the cards. Then on 53mins Keiron Ross pulled a goal back for the Fed, slotting the ball into the corner of the net. Several half chances fell to Broughty as the half went on but no more goals came.

Summing up, once again a depleted team due to various reasons didn’t help the Fed, with the Broughty manager stripped and named as a substitute. Fauldhouse were playing for Super League survival and deserved their win again.