A lacklustre Broughty Athletic side squeezed through to the semi-finals of the GA Engineering Cup after a narrow 1-0 win over Premier League side Forfar West End at a sun-drenched Whitton Park today. In a game that both sides had only a handful of chances on goal it was the home side that broke the deadlock, courtesy of striker Kevin Buchan heading home in the 77th minute to win the game.

Visitors FWE were the better of both sides for the majority of the game, playing the ball and looking comfortable as they pressed high up the park throughout the first 45mins. They showed their intentions as early as the 5th minute, shooting just the wrong side of Iain Ross’s goal. Two Jamie Winter’s efforts, both long range shots mid-way through the first half, were easily saved by the FWE keeper.

Against the run of play, Broughty had the chance to take the lead on 35mins when Grant Lawson, one on one with the FWE keeper, saw his effort saved well. Iain Ross saved well too as the ball looked top corner bound from another FWE chance as the sides went in at halftime level, 0-0.

The second half continued as the first, with the visitors doing the pressing up the park and controlling the play. On 50mins, a FWE corner was swung in and cleared to the edge of the box but the shot was wide of the Broughty goal. 57mins on the clock and Grant Lawson down the left crossed for Stewart McConnachie and his effort somehow flew over the bar from 6 yards out! FWE had the next two chances of the game and should have scored, both shots on goal going the wrong side of the goalpost.

Then on 77mins, it was the home side that scored what turned out to be the winner. A Paul McClellan free-kick was knocked over to Kevin Buchan in the box from Paul Lunan and he headed home into the empty net,1-0. Three minutes later Broughty nearly doubled their lead when Buchan’s effort was tipped onto the bar and out for a corner by the FWE keeper. Then in the dying seconds, FWE pushed and pushed, sending a free-kick into the box but Ross caught comfortably.

A below par performance from Broughty Athletic today, despite claiming their third win on the trot and their second clean sheet in a row, as they were outplayed at times by their visitors. All credit to FWE as they played well and will be disappointed to lose out to a late goal against their Super League hosts. Special mention to both Fed defenders for their battling displays, Barry Myles and Dougie Cameron, had to deal with just about everything that was thrown at them and kept Broughty in the game and cup.

Match action pictures available to view in the ‘PHOTOS’ section of the website…

After today’s other GA Cup results, there are two quarter-final matches still to be played, Downfield v Lochee United and Maud v Carnoustie Panmure. The winners of these games will join Broughty Athletic and Jeanfield Swifts in the draw for the semi-finals…

Leave a Reply