Broughty Athletic came away with all three points after defeating Bo’ness United 1-0 at Newtown Park today and thus securing their Super League, for sure, next season.

Manager Keith Gibson started with Kevin Buchan alongside Stewart McConnachie. Barry Myles partnered Bastien Wibaut in the heart of the defence as Jamie Sime took a seat on the bench. Missing were Jay Smart and Brian Clark. In came, with a place on the bench, Derryn Kesson and Grant Lawson and Jake Mair were both out injured.

DSC_0280 (3)The first half got off to a slow start in the blistering Bo’ness sunshine with both sides not creating a decent chance. It took until the 20th minute for the first half chance and it was the home side, breaking down the left side, cutting the ball into the box but the shot was wide of Iain Ross’s post. One minute later it was Broughty’s turn, Paul Mclellan crossing low across the six-yard box but Kevin Buchan was too late to stick a leg out for what would have been a certain goal.

25mins and another chance for Bo’ness, this time, a curling shot from the left side flying over the crossbar. Ryan Suttie tried his luck on 36mins with a looping high cross which was tipped away at the far post and out for a corner. Then the final chance came on 41mins for the home side, breaking clear and squaring the ball into Broughty’s penalty area but Bastien Wibaut was there to clear the ball. H/T 0-0

The second half was seven minutes old when Bo’ness had a half chance but no takers were in the box when the ball was squared across. Then on the hour mark, Broughty took a deserved lead courtesy of a Kevin Buchan goal. Stewart McConnachie rolled back the years, charging down the right side, beating his two challengers, he took the ball to the byline, cut it back and Buchan stabbed the ball into the empty net(see the main pic above) 0-1.

Two minutes later Broughty should have doubled their lead when Suttie’s shot was saved and the rebound fell to McConnachie, with his back to the goal he spun and shoot from about 5yrds out but his effort was saved on the goalline by the foot of the Bo’ness defender.

66mins on the clock and another half chance for Bo’ness but Iain Ross saved comfortably. Ryan Suttie tried again on 68mins but his shot was well over the crossbar. 75mins a Bo’ness free-kick curled past the Broughty wall and the wrong side of the post and out for a goal-kick. 79mins and the majestic Jamie Winter (pictured above)fed in Paul McClellan but his shot from the edge of the box went wide of the post. Then the final chance fell to the home side on 86mins but an offside call from the linesman ruled out their goal and Broughty held on comfortably for the win and three points.

Summing up, fantastic effort and showing from Broughty who more than matched their opponents today. Every player in the team put in a great shift. Never really troubled from the home side bar their half chances. Played the ball around well and controlled a lot of the game. Bo’ness never offered too much or troubled Iain Ross, although he saved some half chances and dealt with crosses and corners. Special mention goes to Stewart McConnachie and Bastien Wibaut, terrific shift by both lads today as well as the whole team.

Broughty are back in action Wednesday night away to Hill of Beath Hawthorn in the league with a 7-15pm kick off.