Broughty Athletic secured their second Super League won the bounce with a hard fought 3-1 home win over visitors Forfar West End this evening at Whitton Park and thus moved to the top of the league until tomorrow night, when other league games are being played.

Looking to kick on from Saturday’s 1-0 win against Sauchie, interim manager Jamie McCunnie asked more of his side tonight to get the points in the bag, and after a second half onslaught from West End, it’s six out of six points for the Fed so far.

Starting again up front was striker Kevin Milne. Graham Hay once again partnered Garry Kenneth in defence and Kieran McWalter, who signed this evening for the club, made his second start. John Sinclair replaces the missing Iain Ross in the goal.

5mins on the clock and the first half chance fell to McWalter but he shot high and wide from outside the box. Then on 13mins, the deadlock was broken. Kevin Milne won a free kick on the left side, it was swung in by Paul McLellan and from close range, Milne headed into the net, 1-0. 17mins and FWE could have equalised only to see their header from a free kick saved by Sinclair in the goal.

22mins and FWE had another golden chance, breaking upfield down the left and bringing out a great save from Sinclair at his near post, parrying the shot out for a corner. 31mins and Milne had a chance to get on the scoresheet only to see his effort saved by the FWE keeper when put through. 36mins and Brian Clark rounded the keeper but couldn’t guide his shot from the left into the net, it skimmed past the far post and out. The last chance of the half fell to Fraser Smith on 43mins, his 25yrd effort was saved well. H/T 1-0.

FWE came out the second half fired up and piled on the pressure for the Fed from the start after their halftime talking too. Ryan Suttie briefly stopped their surge on 53mins, his 30yrd free kick was tipped over the ball by the keeper at the last second. On the hour mark, the visitors saw another header go wide of the post after dominating possession.

A FWE corner was swung in on 63mins but Broughty broke upfield at a blistering pace. McWalter fed Ryan Blair on the left wing, his inch perfect pass found Milne bearing down on the keeper only to see his effort saved again by the keeper when a goal looked certain. FWE regrouped and carried on piling on the pressure, an effort being cleared of the Fed’s goal line with Sinclair beaten. But 5mins later they got their deserved equaliser. A free kick was swung on from the left, and headed home at the back post unmarked, 1-1.

But on 74mins the home side restored their lead in superb style. A free kick, 20yrds out, was slotted into the corner of the net by Paul McLellan, what a goal it was, with pictures to follow, 2-1. Then on 80mins McLellan grabbed his second goal in the game, slotting home a penalty after Milne was brought down in the box, 3-1. Final noticeable chance of the game fell to captain Jamie Winter on 87mins, but his 25yrd effort was last seen floating down the River Tay! F/T 3-1

Summing up, Broughty took advantage in the first half and deserved their lead. Full credit to a fired up FWE side in the second half. Deserved their goal and will feel very hard done by they didn’t take anything from the game. Special mention to defender Graham Hay and Garry Kenneth dealt with everything that came their way.

Man of the Match for the Fed, constant running down the wings and for two good goals it goes to Paul McLellan.

Team: Sinclair, Blair, Suttie, Hay, Kenneth, Winter, Clark, McLellan, McWalter, Smith, Milne.

Subs: McConnachie, McNaughton, Fleming, Kesson, Used: McConnachie for McWalter, Kesson for Smith.

Goalscorers: Milne, McLellan 2 (1penalty)