Broughty Athletic lost their final league game of the season 3-2 against local rivals Lochee United at Whitton Park. With the sitting in seventh position in the league going into this game, only a win would see them finish in sixth position leapfrogging Dundonald Bluebell but sadly it wasn’t to be.

Keith Gibson’s side went into this game with Barry Myles back in the squad but had to take a place on the bench alongside Derryn Kesson. John Sinclair replaced Iain Ross in the goal. Shaka Roy and Danny Cavanagh were both missing from the squad.

The game was 4mins old when Ryan Suttie played a long ball to Paul McLellan but the Lochee keeper was on hand to save well. The deadlock was broken on 23mins by the visitors when a free kick into the Broughty box wasn’t cleared and Lochee striker Bryan Deasley popped the ball into the net from close range, 0-1. The visitors doubled their lead on 30mins when a free kick into the box again found former Fed striker Kevin Buchan and he headed into the net, 0-2.

Then just three minutes later the Bluebells were three goals to the good after Broughty lost possession of the ball in the middle of the park, it was played out to the left side and Bryan Deasley ran goalwards and slotted the ball under the advancing John Sinclair and into the far corner of the net, 0-3. Ross McCord tried to reply with a free kick on 37mins but it went wide of the Lochee post. 60secs later Grant Lawson was put through but his lobbed effort went wide of the post.

But Broughty finally pulled a goal back on the stroke of halftime courtesy of Jamie Winter. The ball was played through the middle of the park and McLellan played a one-two with Winter and with only the keeper to beat he slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the net, 1-3. H/T.

52mins on the clock and McLellan was put through down the left side and unleashed his shot but for it to be saved by the Lochee keeper and out for a corner. 61mins and McLellan tried his luck again but shot over the bar. 73mins Lochee had a further chance to extend their lead when Bryan Deasley tested Sinclair in the Broughty goal but he pulled off a fantastic save from close range. On 76mins McLellan again tried his luck in the Lochee box, firstly his close-range shot was saved by the feet of the Lochee keeper, then the rebound by McLellan saw the ball hit the post and skim across the Lochee goal with no Broughty takers.

On 83mins Broughty reduced the deficit when Ross McCord’s free kick into the box was challenged by Broughty defender Jay Smart and the Lochee keeper but both missed the ball and it landed in the net to make it 2-3 (picture above). Despite a late surge by the home side, Ryan Suttie with a late header skimming past the post, the visitors held on for their second win over the Fed and take the points away with them, 2-3 F/T.

Summing up, a slow start from the Fed, sloppy goals yet again conceded for too easily. Full credit though they never gave up and battled back and narrowly missed out on an equaliser. Seventh place was confirmed also in the Super League with the defeat.