Broughty Athletic let a halftime lead slip and finished with no points as visitors Sauchie stormed back to claim the points with a 3-2 win at Whitton Park. With the game passing the early morning pitch inspection it was Broughty’s first home game since away back early November 2015 and a game of two halves it was to be. The home side started with Bryan Duell and Kevin Buchan upfront, with Paul Lunan in the midfield and Jamie Winter on the bench.

It was the visitors who took the lead on 5mins when play down the right side saw a low cross come into the 6yrd box with no Broughty clearance the ball was tapped home,0-1. It took until the 18mins mark for Broughty to rightfully equalize and get level. Jamie McCunnie flighted a cross into the box, it was flicked down by Bryan Duell for Kevin Buchan to slot home, 1-1.

The on 22mins Broughty deservedly took the lead courtesy of a ‘goal of the season’ contender from Grant Lawson, he gathered the ball on the left, then from the edge of the 18yrd box he curled it over the keeper into the far top corner of the net, 2-1. 26mins Broughty looked to extend their lead but Buchan’s volley was saved one-handed by the Sauchie keeper. 31mins and Buchan again had a glorious chance but his lob just went over the bar. Several corner’s and two free-kicks for the visitors were dealt with by the Fed before Ryan Suttie had the last effort, he tried his luck with a wild shot that went high and wide. Halftime 2-1 to The Fed, who were cruising and playing comfortably and went in at halftime deservedly 2-1 up.

Second half and the visitors came out fighting and changed the sway of the game. On 63mins they equalized when a free-kick 20yards or so out flew past the Broughty wall and into the bottom corner despite Iain Ross’s efforts to save it. Then on 75mins Broughty collapsed as Sauchie took a deserved lead due to constant play and pressure, dominating the game. A high ball was played into the box, with Broughty defenders claiming offside, no whistle came from the referee, Broughty’s Ross punches clear whilst challenged by a Sauchie player but the ball falls kindly to another Sauchie player who has the easiest of chances and taps the ball home into an empty net,2-3. 

Broughty pushed for an equalizer but Sauchie were holding out. A corner on 84mins fell at Grant Lawson’s feet at the back post but his effort was blasted wide when a goal looked certain. Then on 89mins Buchan had a one on one chance with the visiting keeper when his goal-kick fell at Buchan’s feet, he raced down on goal with defender’s either side of him, his shot was blocked by the keeper only for the rebound to hit him and head goalwards to an empty net but somehow it scraped the wrong side of the post and out for a goal-kick. F/T 2-3.

Match photos available in the ‘PHOTOS’ section of the website…

Video highlights available…

Leave a Reply