Twice Broughty Athletic let leads slip during the game and dropped two vital points as visitors Jeanfield Swifts battled back and grabbed a well-deserved point in a 3-3 draw tonight at a rain-soaked Whitton Park.

Broughty took control early on in the first half and went ahead after just 7mins when Jake Mair broke down the right side beating his man, he cut the ball back to Brian Clark and he slammed home from just inside the box,1-0. Broughty doubled their lead on 24mins and deservedly so. Goalkeeper Iain Ross’s goal kick found Ryan Blair down the left side, he fed in Danny Cavanagh and his shot went in between keeper and post(picture above),2-0.

On 28mins Swifts came back into the game and a goal was coming but for Ross in the goal saving at point blank range. A couple of long-range efforts from Ross McCord went wide before the visitors eventually pulled a goal back before halftime. Broughty lost a simple throw in on 39mins, Swifts broke and a 25yrd shot deflected into the net over Ross’s head despite his best efforts to save it. H/T 2-1.

The second half was a poor affair where the home side were concerned. Swifts dominated the majority of the half and had a couple of half-chances as did Broughty trying from long range. Then the deserved equalizer came on 75mins. A Swift’s corner was not cleared by Broughty and the shot was eventually deflected in,2-2. Swifts then pushed on for the winner and you could feel the game wasn’t over.

Then on 89mins Broughty shot up the park and scored a superb 20yrd curling effort into the back of the net from Ross McCord, thinking that was the winner the players erupted into celebrations. But the visitors dug in and from the kick-off shot up the park and gained a free-kick just outside the box, which ended up flying past the wall into the top left corner of the net with Ross well beaten.

Broughty had a final chance that fell to McConnachie but his lob just went over the bar and out for a goal kick.

Summing up, a game of two halves, Broughty the first, Swifts the second. Poor showing from the Fed side that beat Linlithgow on Saturday. Swifts were there for the taking at 2-0 but Broughty let them back into the game. To re-take the lead only to let it slip again in the dying minutes was a hard one to take but a point each was a fair final score.

Man of the Match, for his 100% effort in chasing, running, demanding and a well-taken goal goes to Danny Cavanagh.

Broughty now welcome bottom side Fauldhouse United to Whitton Park this Saturday in a league game, with kick-off at 2-30pm.

Over 40 match action photos are available to view by clicking on the link below. All photos are courtesy of Richard Wiseman Photography…[email protected]/sets/72157671148982100