A woeful second half performance saw Broughty Athletic get hit for six for the second time at home in 21 days by a rampant Bonnyrigg Rose side at a rain-soaked Whitton Park.

With one eye on a cup final next Sunday, Broughty went into the game having to leave Ryan Suttie, Ross McCord and Paul McLellan on the bench, as all three players were a booking away from next week’s showpiece. Shaka Roy was missing along with Frankie Lannen. However, captain Jamie Winter was back in the starting eleven having missed the last two away wins due to suspension as was goalkeeper Iain Ross, replacing John Sinclair. Assistant manager Charlie King started up front alongside Stewart McConnachie.

The visitors showed their intentions as early as the 4th-minute, shooting wide of the post with Iain Ross in the Fed goal. Then on 8mins a barrage of corners for Bonnyrigg saw Broughty put under severe pressure with one attempt hitting the post and another being saved by Ross. It took until the 21st minute for Broughty to try a shot on goal, Charlie King shooting from 25yrds out but it was easily saved. Then on 26mins Broughty tried again, this time Grant Lawson running down the right side, his cross come chip went over the keeper but past the goal, it was kept in play but Jamie Winters curling effort went over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken on 31mins. Another corner was swung in and headed down and tapped in at the far post, 0-1. 38mins and Bonnyrigg broke down the right only to see their cross find no takers in an empty Broughty goalmouth. Then bang on the halftime whistle the visitors struck again. Another corner, another header but this time Ross saved well only for the ball to stay in the 6yrd box and be nodded home, 0-2 H/T.

The second half started as the rain was getting heavier at Whitton Park, not a game to watch without a heavy coat or brolly. Then on 55mins was the start of three goals in a crazy three-minute period. Firstly, a simple low cross from the left into the Broughty box somehow skidded on the surface and slipped under Ross in the goal to make it 0-3. Within 60secs the Rose had their fourth, a poor header back towards Ross in the goal gave him no chance and the ball was tucked away, 0-4. Then again within 60secs, another goal went the visitors’ way as the Broughty defence was cut open to make it 0-5.

A Danny Cavanagh shot from the edge of the box on 63mins broke up the constant pressure from the visitors until the 65th-minute normal service was resumed, the Rose scored their sixth and final goal of the game with a close-range effort. To make a bad day for Broughty even worse, defender Barry Myles was shown the red card for what everyone in the ground can only describe as a ridiculous decision by the match official. The Bonnyrigg player as he was walking past Barry, tripped and fell over and for that, he was shown the red card. Despite protests from players around including the Rose players, Barry was off, to sum up, a bad day at the office for the Fed. 0-6 F/T

Summing up, Broughty were doing okay game wise in the first half despite the visitors having most of the possession. A barrage of corners too didn’t help the confidence of the reds. If not conceding the second goal before halftime Broughty could have come out the second half and gave it a good go. Sadly this was not the case and the terrible weather helped mask a terrible second half performance.