Broughty Athletic continued their unbeaten start to the new Super League season with a 4-0 away win at near local rivals Carnoustie Panmure tonight.

Only one change to the starting eleven, in came Paul McLellan replacing Danny Cavanagh who was on the bench alongside recent new loanee James Yates. Also returning was Jake Mair from holiday.

7mins on the clock and the first chance fell to the Fed, Stewart McConnachie was one on one with the Carnoustie keeper who saved well. 11mins it was Carnoustie who nearly broke the deadlock, a corner was headed goalwards but cleared on the line by Broughty’s Ryan Suttie. 15mins and Broughty claimed a penalty when Paul McLellan (pictured below) was hauled down in the box but the match official was having none of it. A minute later Broughty had a great chance, Brian Clark’s cross found Ryan Suttie in the box but his header went the wrong side of the post and out for a goal kick.

24mins Broughty’s Iain Ross made his first and only save of the game from a Carnoustie corner. 40mins Jay Smart saw his header from a corner fly over the crossbar and out. Then two minutes before halftime Broughty were awarded a penalty after McLellan was hauled down in the box. At first, the referee awarded a free-kick to the visitor’s disgust but the far side linesman corrected him and a penalty was awarded. Jamie McCunnie stepped up but the home keeper pulled off a fantastic save and rebound save to keep the scores level at halftime. H/T 0-0.

DSC_0151 (3)The second half was only seven minutes old when Broughty finally broke the deadlock. McLellan’s cutback on the left to Ross McCord was slammed high into the net from close range,0-1(picture above). 65mins on the clock on Broughty doubled their lead, Brian Clark on the right side, cut into the box, twisted his marker inside out and slotted the ball between the keeper and post,0-2. Two minutes later and the home side were finally reduced to ten men for another poor challenge. 68mins and the Broughty trio of Stewart McConnachie, Jay Smart and Ryan Suttie were all trying their luck in front of goal but the keeper was saving well again.

75mins it was all over for the home side as Broughty scored their third courtesy of Jamie Winter finding McLellan on the right, he cut in a laid the ball for Cavanagh to rifle home,0-3. From the kick-off, Brian Clark was next to test the home keeper but again he was denied by a fine save. 78mins a Jake Mair shot was well saved and out for a corner. The resulting corner was swung in and James Yates was near post to stab home Broughty’s fourth and final goal,0-4.

80mins on the clock and Jake Mair saw his goal ruled off for offside. Then the final action of the game, with two minutes to go, saw Carnoustie’s poor discipline on the park continue as they were further reduced to nine men following a second red card.

Summing up, not a great start in the first half, Broughty slowly came into the half and should have been a couple ahead but for a great keeper in Carnoustie’s goal. The second half Broughty were a different side. Played some superb football, played well as a team together and scored some very good goals. It could have been 6, 7 or 8-0 but for some fine saves from the Carnoustie keeper. None the less, another three points, a clean sheet and a great team performance.

Man of the Match for Broughty tonight is a hard one. A few different players to choose from, the likes of Paul McLellan and Jamie Winter were superb, but once again for his great, all round performance, twisting and turning players inside and out, and for a great goal, goes to Brian Clark.

Match action photos are now available in the ‘PHOTOS’ section…