Broughty Athletic grabbed another three crucial points in their quest to stay in the Super League for next season with a narrow 1-0 win over visitors St Andrews United tonight at Whitton Park. In doing so it was Broughty’s fourth clean sheet in their last seven league games.

Broughty were dealt a huge blow just an hour before kick-off when central defender was ruled out of the game. In came, returning from missing the last two games, French defender Bastien Wibaut as his replacement. Also starting was Ryan Suttie at right-back for Jamie McCunnie who is still on holiday. Starting up front were the pairing of Kevin Buchan and Stewart McConnachie.

Broughty’s first effort on goal was after 5mins, and it proved crucial, Jamie Winter’s low shot palmed out past the post for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared but the ball fell to Paul McLellan and his cross found Kevin Buchan who headed into the bottom left corner(picture above),1-0. Another chance for Buchan came on 16mins but his header was wide from Winter’s cross. United’s first chance came on 18mins, shooting well over Iain Ross’s crossbar. Another chance for the visitors came on 37mins but the 25yrd effort went wide. H/T 1-0.

Ryan Suttie’s 25yrd effort after 58mins was Broughty’s first effort of a poor second half display. On the hour mark, United had a great chance to equalize from a Broughty corner, breaking down the park but the final pass was just too much for the attacker who’s effort hit the side netting. On 70mins, Broughty lost Jake Mair to a shoulder injury, minutes after coming on as a substitute, and was replaced by Jay Smart. Then again the improved St Andrews side had another great chance to equalize but Ross saved well at his feet to keep the score 1-0. 

Then a couple of half-chances for either side came in the last ten minutes, most noticeable was the visitors effort cleared off the line by Broughty defender Jay Smart to seal the crucial points for the Fed and move them up to eleventh in the league,F/T 1-0.

Summing up, Broughty eased through the first half creating some chances and playing good football, with the visitors offering very little back. But a vastly improved second half by St Andrews turned the game around and had Broughty all over the place with a poor showing. They will be disappointed not to return back to Fife without a point from their second half showing. As for Broughty, they need to improve on their second half showings before someone takes advantage. Other than that, a massive three points to climb up the league and push for Super League survival.

Match photo’s and the gaffer’s report available tomorrow morning at some point…