Broughty Athletic cruised into the semi-finals of the GA Engineering Cup with a comfortable 5-1 win over Hermes JFC at Whitton Park this afternoon.

Captain Jamie Winter was back in the starting eleven following his recent injury, Kevin Buchan started again up front alongside Shaka Roy. There was also a place on the bench for Danny Cavanagh following his broken hand injury against Culter JFC in the last round of this competition.

Brief match report below…

Things started brightly for the home side and they were rewarded with the opening goal after only 4mins when Ross McCord slammed home from close range after Shaka Roy’s shot was blocked, 1-0. On 13mins Hermes hit the Broughty post with a deflected shot and out for a corner. Sixty seconds later Ross McCord shot over the bar from 15yrds out after being put through by Grant Lawson

Then a double corner brought the second goal for the home side on 16mins. Firstly Kevin Buchan hit the crossbar following the first corner sent in by Paul McLellan. Then Broughty doubled their lead when the second corner was sent in, it was headed goalwards by Ryan Suttie only for the Hermes keeper to par it into the path of Grant Lawson who knocked it into the net from two yards out, 2-0. On 20mins the visitors had a chance with a header but Iain Ross saved well at his left post but was then rashly challenged by the Hermes forward resulting in a free-kick to the Fed. Despite a few more half-chances for the home side, there was no more goals to follow in the first half, H/T 2-0.

The second half was only five minutes old when a Kevin Buchan header was nodded into the path of an unmarked Shaka Roy and he slotted home his first goal for the club since joining early this year to make it 3-0. Hermes were then reduced to 10 men for the remainder of the game following the goal. Moments later, 53mins, the Fed had a glorious chance to make to 4-0 when Paul McLellan and striker Kevin Buchan were two on one with the Hermes keeper but McLellan’s pass failed to find Buchan and the keeper saved well.

From the play, Hermes broke upfield and won a penalty after defender Ryan Blair was adjudged to have pulled his opponent down in the box and was shown the red card reducing the Fed to ten men. The spot kick was slotted past Iain Ross to make it 3-1 on 54mins.

On the hour mark striker Buchan scored his first of two goals, he collected the ball and ran goalwards with his marker with him but his low shot across goal found the back of the net to make it 4-1. Buchan again hit the post this time on 80mins with his attempt. Sixty seconds later it was the turn of Stewart McConnachie but he skied the ball over the bar from 8yrds out with only the keeper to beat. Then on 84mins Buchan eventually scored his second after fine play from substitute Danny Cavanagh, Buchan received the ball and despite two markers beside him, he slammed home from 10yrds out into the bottom right corner, 5-1 F/T.

Summing up, Broughty dominated the game from the opening whistle. They played well together, played some great passing football and made the intentions known to get the final of this competition.

Man of the Match for the Fed, very hard to choose from several players, Winter, McCord, Buchan, but it goes to Grant Lawson for his flying runs done the wings, inch perfect crosses and all round great game.

F/T : BAJFC 5-1 Hermes – Scorers: McCord, Lawson, Roy, Buchan