Broughty Athletic, holders of the GA Engineering Cup, crashed out of the competition in the 1st round this afternoon as they went down 4-1 to a rampant Tayport side at The Canniepairt.

The Fed went into the game on the back of a three-game unbeaten run, with draws against Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo’ness United and a win over Sauchie so the signs were there that the Fed were favourites to progress. But hosts Tayport had other ideas and they put their plan into action and deservedly enter the 2nd round draw.

Liam McCartney made his debut after signing recently for the club on the right side, John Sinclair was in the goal replacing the injured Iain Ross and Ryan Suttie made the bench following his recent injury. Dayle Robertson and Fraser Smith were missing for the Fed.

Tayport were first to press with the opening minutes, dominating the ball and pressing Broughty back into their own half. On 6mins though Greig McNaughton tried his luck with a snapshot but it went wide of the post. 60secs later the Fed had another chance, this time Liam McCartney was fed by Kevin Milne but his shot was saved well by the Port keeper. Straight up the park and Tayport saw an effort tipped over the bar by Sinclair in the goal.

The deadlock was broken on 16mins by the home side, slotting home from inside the box past Sinclair, 1-0. This sparked a reaction from the Fed and Stewart McConnachie was through on the keeper but the ball just eluded him and he couldn’t finish for the equaliser. Again, another quick chance for the Fed came 60secs later when a free kick floated into the box found McConnachie but he shot wide.

On 20mins Milne had a weak effort on goal having been supplied by Brian Clark from the left. But just as Broughty were really pushing for the equaliser it was the home side who doubled their lead on 22mins. A run down the right side saw a low cross blocked by defender Graham Hay only for the loose ball to be slammed into the net, 2-0. Tayport were pressing and from a corner, they nearly scored their third but for Ryan Blair blocking the goalbound effort. But on 34mins the third goal eventually came to put them 3-0 up.

A lifeline was given to the Fed on 37mins when a McConnachie corner was swung into the box and headed home by top goalscorer Kevin Milne to make it 3-1. With a couple of minutes to go till the halftime whistle, Tayport should have added a fourth goal but for a goal-line clearance by Kieran McWalter after a Tayport corner was swung into the box. H/T 3-1.

The second half was three minutes old when McWalter fed Milne but his effort was saved at the feet of the Tayport keeper. 59mins and another free-kick into the box was headed over the bar this time by Fed defender Hay. 69mins Milne tried his luck again but his 20yrd shot was easily saved. 78mins and Sinclair in the Fed goal rushed out to clear a ball, only for Tayport to try their luck and shoot from 35yrds out but it went just wide of the post.

As tempers were boiling going into the last ten minutes of the game, Milne shot over on 82mins when put through. On 89 mins the game was over for Fed defender Ryan Blair as another slack pass found a Tayport player who tried to chip the ball over him, he lashed his hand out and stopped the ball reaching the Tayport forward and was shown his marching orders. There was however much confusion, the farside assistant referee had flagged for offside against Tayport but withdrew his decision and Blair was off.

There was still time for more tempers flaring as substitute Derryn Kesson was booked for a hard challenge in front the screaming Tayport bench, he received a yellow card for his actions. Following this to rub salt in the Fed’s wounds, Tayport slotted home their fourth to send themselves into the hat for the second round draw and Broughty out of their third and final cup competition before Christmas. F/T 4-1.

Summing up, you knew from the start that former Broughty assistant manager Charlie King would have his Tayport side up for the game, and he certainly did that. They battled for everything, fought for everything and claimed for everything. They dominated Broughty’s midfield area and scored four good goals despite not having too many chances of note throughout the game. Broughty, well, they had their chances to score several goals during the game but sadly it wasn’t to be today. Slack passing and players posted missing throughout the game added to Broughty’s woes of missed chances. Full credit must go to the hosts on their win.

Team: Sinclair, Hay, Blair, McNaughton, McCunnie, Winter, McWalter, Clark, McCartney, McConnachie, Milne

Subs used: Suttie on for McNaughton, Liversedge on for McWalter, Kesson on for McCartney