Broughty Athletic put their poor recent run of form to one side today as they ran out comfortable winners away to North Super League side Culter JFC in the GA Engineering Cup, winning 3-1 at Crombie Park.

Fed manager Keith Gibson made some changes to the starting line-up, Ryan Blair, Jay Smart and Stewart McConnachie were on the bench with Ross McCord, Barry Myles and Kevin Buchan all starting.

Things got off to the worst possible start when Ryan Suttie gave away a soft free-kick on the edge of the box after only three minutes on the clock. The resulting free-kick was curled over the Broughty wall and into the net with goalkeeper Iain Ross beaten, 1-0. But within 60seconds Broughty were back level courtesy of a Jamie Winter low shot from just inside the corner of the box into the far left bottom corner of the goal, 1-1. 7mins gone and Paul McLellan’s cross come shot was tipped over the bar and out for a corner. 9mins and recent new signing Shaka Roy was put through one on one with the Culter keeper but he saved well and denied Roy his first goal for the club.

14mins on the clock and again the Fed went close, this time Danny Cavanagh’s 25yrd effort was deflected out for a corner when a goal looked certain. 21mins and Kevin Buchan’s inch-perfect low cross found Roy in the box but he was bundled over by the Culter defender to loud penalty appeals from the away side, but the ref gave nothing. Then on 26mins Broughty finally took the lead in the game. Jamie Winter swung in a free-kick into the box and at the far post where Buchan took his time with the keeper going down to save and slammed it into the net, 1-2. two minutes later Broughty should have had another penalty, this time Grant Lawson was pulled back after rounding the keeper when one on one, nothing again given by the referee.

But Broughty finally got their third goal on the half-hour mark. Lawson down the left side crossed the ball and Ross McCord collected it before shooting from the edge of the box to make it 3-1 to the Fed. 33mins on the clock and Winter’s 20yrd free-kick flew the wrong side of the post and out for a goal kick. Then the final chance of the half fell to the home side, a glorious chance wasted from a left side cross, the striker volleying the ball out of the park! H/T 1-3.

The second half was two minutes old when Winter put through Kevin Buchan who ran goalwards and slotted home only for the linesman to flag for offside despite Buchan being at least 5yrds behind his defender marker, shocking decision. 50 mins Lawson fed Roy on the edge of the box but his shot went the wrong side of the goal. 56mins and Culter swung a free-kick into the Fed box but Barry Myles skyed the ball over the Fed bar and out for a corner. 58mins another effort from Lawson, this time his free-kick was well saved. On the hour mark, a rush of blood in the Fed goal area saw the ball headed into the arms of Ross by Fed defender Ryan Suttie. 62mins Suttie was the Fed savour when he blocked a close-range shot on the line when Ross was nowhere near it.

73mins and a Lawson free-kick was swung over, substitute Ryan Blair set up Cavanagh but he was brought down in the box, but again the match official was determined not to give a penalty and booked Cavanagh for arguing. He was subsequently taken off injured after the challenge. 79mins and Iain Ross made a vital save at his near post, the ball was cleared for a corner. The corner was swung over, out to the edge of the box where a Culter player hit a shot that rattled the far post, with the ball rebounding out the next Culter player skyed the ball out of the park from 4yrds out. Fed captain Jamie Winter was carried off after going over his ankle with 10mins to go and with all substitutes used the Fed played the remainder of the game with 10 men, F/T 1-3.

Summing up, a comfortable win for the Fed but should have been out of sight by halftime with a number of chances that were missed. Second half Culter made it a fight and pressed up the park. The referee was poor with his amount of incorrect decisions, for both sides, as was the lineman who kept flagging Broughty players off for being 2inches offside!!!

Man oh the Match, yet again it was the little midfield maestro, Danny Cavanagh. he never gave up and battled for everything. Special mentions also for striker Kevin Buchan, starting his first game in a while and scoring, and Ross McCord for putting in a great shift after missing the last few games.

Fulltime : Culter 1 BAJFC 3 Scorers : Winter, Buchan, McCord

Next week Broughty are back on Super League business, this time they welcome Broxburn Athletic to Whitton Park, kick off at 2-15pm.