Broughty Athletic blew a two-goal lead and had to settle for a draw after visitors Hill of Beath battled back for a 3-3 draw at Whitton Park this afternoon.

Broughty went into the game still missing captain Graham Hay as he battles back from injury. John Sinclair kept his place in the goal and Kevin Milne lead the attack up front. Fraser Smith took a place on the bench following his recent injury.

5mins on the clock and the visitors tried to test Fed keeper Sinclair but their 20yrd effort flew high over the bar and out the park. Then on 8mins they eventually took the lead courtesy of a penalty. Fed winger Derryn Kesson just clipped his man in the box and the match official had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, and it was duly converted, 0-1.

12mins and Greig McNaughton was fouled on the edge of the HOB box and stand-in captain Brian Clark tested their keeper but he saved well, tipping the ball away. 15mins HOB tried another long-range effort but it wide of the post. 18mins Milne was put through by Keiran McWalter but the ball was too heavy for him as he ran goalwards. Then on 21mins, the equaliser came for the home side. Clark’s ball found its way via McWalter and onto Kesson, he took his time and curled the ball into the far corner of the net, 1-1. Great play and an even greater finish for Kesson.

The Fed took the lead on 34mins, defender Gregor Anderson’s free-kick found Ryan Blair, he put in Milne but his shot was saved at the near post and out for a corner. Danny Cavanagh swung the corner in and it was flicked on by McNaughton as he ran away from goal and over the keepers head into the net, 2-1. Another 25yrd effort for the visitors flew over Sinclair’s crossbar and out. H/T 2-1.

First real chances in the second half came on the hour mark, both to the visitors from corners but Sinclair saved well with both attempts. Then a minute later there were poor scenes from the visitors No.6, squaring up to the Fed’s Kesson and grabbing him by the throat which only resulted in a yellow card. The Fed then lost Cavanagh to an injury as he went down unchallenged and Smith came on as his replacement. On 70mins Broughty extended their lead courtesy of Milne. A fine ball from the outside of Kesson’s foot down the wing found McNaughton and his perfect low cross found Milne in the box and he stabbed home, 3-1.

Broughty were in control and you would have thought they’d go on and score again and wrap the points up but the visitors hit back on 75mins from a throw into the edge of the box and the hooked shot flew past Sinclair into the net, 3-2. A minute late Clark beat his two markers, cut onto his left foot but his effort went wide of the box from just inside the box. 80mins and HOB headed over the bar from a corner. 89mins Broughty had the chance to wrap the game up when fine play on the left to the byline saw the ball cutback by Milne to the rushing-in Jamie Winter but he put his effort just of the far post.

Then to rub salt into the Fed’s wounds, a penalty was awarded in the third minute of injury time to the visitors after Fraser Smith was adjudged to have pushed his man over at the far post as the ball was crossed into the box. The penalty was slammed home to the disappointment of the home players and fans. A couple more minutes of added time were played out and both sides settled for a point each. F/T 3-3

Summing up, definitely two points dropped for the Fed were they were in total control. Credit to HOB for battling back, they’ll be the happier side tonight. Some top-class passages of play were seen throughout the home side but some lacks in concentration cost two goals.

Man of the Match, another tough one, three contenders for this today, Gregor Anderson solid at the heart of the defence along with Greig McNaughton but it goes to the man who attacked, defended when needed, covered every inch of the pitch and scored the third goal, Kevin Milne.

Team: Sinclair, McNaughton, McCunnie, Anderson, Blair, Winter, McWalter, Clark, Kesson, Milne, Cavanagh.

Subs used: Smith on for Cavanagh, Liversedge on for Kesson.

Match action photos will appear tomorrow…