Broughty Athletic got back to winning ways with a 2-0 home win over visitors Musselburgh Athletic today at Whitton Park.

Returning to the starting line-up were goalkeeper Iain Ross and making his first start of the season was Barry Myles in the defence. Paul McLellan started with Jake Mair on the bench. Broughty also had Matty Adam as a trialist. Missing were James Collier, Grant Lawson, and Ryan Suttie through injury.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side, a big kick clearance from Iain Ross found Paul McLellan, he put in Stewart McConnachie but his shot was well saved. 18mins saw another chance fall to Broughty, but Danny Cavanagh saw his shot saved from Jamie Winters’ cross. Then the deadlock was broke two minutes later, midfielder Ross McCord striking from 20yrds out into the net,1-0.

It took until the 37th minute for the visitors to have a shot on goal but it went wide of the post and out. Musselburgh tried again on 44mins but Iain Ross pulled off a great save at his feet when a goal looked likely. Broughty broke downfield from the save and Paul McLellan saw his run and shot saved seconds before the half-time whistle. H/T 1-0.

The second half started brightly again, on 49mins Jay Smart saw his header fly over the bar from a Broughty corner. Broughty doubled their lead from the penalty spot on 57mins courtesy of Ross McCord again after Paul McLellan was brought down in the box after a fine run down the left side,2-0. 60secs later Brian Clark saw his shot well saved by the visiting keeper. On the hour mark, Musselburgh had a header skim over the bar following a free-kick into the box. Then on 67mins Broughty lost Jake Mair through injury, he was only on the park minutes as a substitute for Ross McCord.

Musselburgh were constantly pressing the second half and another chance fell on 70mins but the header flew over the bar from a corner. 71mins and Broughty trialist Matty Adam saw his run and shot well saved. Jamie Winter tried his luck from 30yrds but was wide of the post. Another chance fell to Adam, but again the visiting keeper was saving well. The final chance of the game fell to Danny Cavanagh but once again, the keeper saved his shot. F/T 2-0.

Summing up, a great first half showing from the Fed. Neat passing, slick one-two passing, and all round general play were a joy to watch. Kept Musselburgh quiet and deserved their halftime lead. Second half the visitors had more of the possession as they looked to equalize. They pressed Broughty back constantly and at least deserved a goal but for good defending and poor finishing. Iain Ross made two crucial saves when needed in the game, and a special mention for the Musselburgh keeper, kept his side in the game with several fine saves.

Man of the Match, was a hard one to choose from today, Barry Myles played well in his first game back, Stewart McConnachie played well up front, constantly chasing every ball, Ross MCord in the middle of the park and for his goal, but once again for being solid at the back when needed and hardly putting a foot wrong goes to Jay Smart.

Match photos available to view Sunday morning…