Despite a vast improvement from last Saturday’s defeat in the EOS Cup, Broughty Athletic went down 2-1 at home to visitors Camelon and finished the game with 10 men following the sending off on Kieran McWalter.

The Fed were looking to get back to winning ways in the league and Jamie McCunnie was busy right up to late Friday night to strengthen the squad before today’s game and gave a debut to trialist Logan Davie from Dundee United in the middle of the park. He partnered McWalter, Garry Kenneth and Graham Hay were in the centre of the defence and Kevin Milne was up front again alongside Stuart McConnachie. Hay captained the side with Jamie Winter dropped to the bench.

Things got off to a great start for the home side as they opened the scoring on 5mins. Paul McLellan’s free-kick was swung into the box, it eventually landed at the far side and Garry Kenneth controlled it and lashed home across goal into the net, 1-0. On 9mins Ryan Blair saw his cross meet Kevin Milne but his header was saved and the rebound fell to trialist Davie but his effort was saved again. The resulting corner was headed wide by Kenneth.

21mins and a long goal kick from Iain Ross found Davie, he fed in Milne but his 25yrd curling effort went wide of the goal post. Camelon’s equaliser came on 24mins when a free kick into the box was partially punched clear by Ross to the edge of the box, no Fed player made a challenge to clear it and it was hammered home over Ross and into the net, 1-1.

Logan Davie tried his luck on 28mins but his effort went wide of the post. Two minutes later Camelon saw a volley fly just over the crossbar from a cross from the right. 32mins and Kenneth fed McLellan but his shot was tipped over by the keeper. 34mins and Broughty should have retaken the lead, Kenneth’s header was goalbound by McConnachie just couldn’t get a touch on it to help it in and it was cleared downfield which brought Ross into action and he saved the resulting shot.

37mins and another chance for the Fed, McLellan just inside the box but his effort was saved easily. The final chance fell to the visitors, down the left side, cutting in and shooting across Ross and the goal, skimming past the post, 1-1 H/T.

Second half was five minutes old when Camelon were denied what they thought was a stonewall penalty, breaking upfield from a Broughty corner. 54mins and Graham Hay’s cross was headed over by Milne. 55mins Ross tipped away a looping cross at the far post, seconds later Kenneth was shoved off the ball and the resulting shot went wide.

On the hour mark, it was ping pong in the Broughty box, Camelon bringing out two fine point blank saves from Ross in his goal area. But 60secs later the visitors took the lead. Firstly Ross made a near post save with his foot only for the ball to be crossed back over, with the sun shining brightly Ross jumped and caught the ball but was adjudged to have landed behind the line and the goal was awarded to the shouts and claims from the Broughty squad it hadn’t, 1-2.

Rather than step up a gear and search the equaliser, Broughty were pressed back by Camelon as they looked for a third. 65mins a rasping shot looking to be headed into the far corner was deflected out by Kenneth’s face. 69mins another McLellan free kick went wide of the post. 71mins Camelon tried again, shooting wide of the post with Ross beaten. Then things got even worse for the home side on 77mins when midfielder McWalter was shown his second yellow of the game for a blatant challenge bringing down the Camelon winger.

85mins and Ross miss-kicked his goal kick, it fell to the Camelon striker, he squared it for his fellow striker just to tap home only for Ross to put him off and wide of the post it went. 87mins McLellan tried another free kick but it was saved again. 89mins and a Broughty corner was swung in, it fell to Kenneth at the back post area but his curling effort landed on the crossbar and out, 1-2 F/T.

Summing up, a vastly improved performance from the Fed, several clear cut chances to bury Camelon by halftime but not taken. Credit to camelon though, they pressed the second half and took home the three valuable points. Discipline can maybe cost Broughty this season, be it on the field of play or warming up on the sidelines with silly bookings or lack of interest when not playing.

Man of the Match for the Fed, certain players put in decent shifts, Milne up front, Hay at the back but it goes to trialist Logan Davie, a breath of fresh air in the side and played well and wasn’t scared to have a go.

F/T BAJFC 1-2 Camelon – Scorer: Kenneth

Team: Ross, Blair, Hay, Kenneth, McNaughton, Clark, McWalter, McLellan, Davie(trialist), Milne, McConnachie

Subs used: Robertson on for Milne, Winter on for Blair, Myles on for McNaughton.