Dundee Violet vs BAJFC

GA Engineering Cup
22nd April 2017
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

Broughty Athletic are through to the final of the GA Engineering Cup following a narrow 2-1 win over Premier League side Dundee Violet at Glenesk Park this afternoon.

In a game that was crucial for both sides, it was the hosts who had Broughty on the back foot for the whole of the first half as both sides looked to book their place in the showpiece final at Tannadice Park, home of Dundee United next month.

Following on from the midweek win at Hill of Beath, Broughty manager Keith Gibson brought back to the starting eleven captain Jamie Winter with defender dropping out but also cup-tied for today’s game. 

Things started poorly for the Fed and didn’t get any better for the first 45mins of the game as chances were very very limited as Violet took the game to their visitors. Fed keeper Iain Ross was first tested on 9mins but saved a weak shot comfortably. Then on 27mins, he was called into action again this time saving well as Violet broke down the right side and ran down on goal with the resulting shot being well saved.

On 37mins it was the home side again to try their luck, this time heading wide from an inswinging corner with no challenge from the Broughty defence. Despite some possession and a few corners, Broughty offered nothing in the way of chances on goal as Violet held them out. H/T 0-0.

The second half was 8mins old when Broughty started to find their way in the game, Stewart McConnachie’s cross finding Ryan Suttie but he saw his header saved. This was Broughty’s first attempt on target. 56mins brought another save from the home keeper, this time Shaka Roy turned his marker 14yrds out but shot straight down the middle.

The deadlock was finally broken when after play down the left side, Suttie managed to pull the ball back and found McConnachie and he shot from just inside the Violet box into the back of the net, 0-1. 60secs later and substitute Grant Lawson tried his luck from 20yrds out but his effort was saved. Broughty pushed for the second and killer goal to finish off their hosts but Ryan Blair saw his shot on 81mins saved after Brian Clark had set him up.

Then finally the goal came on 84mins. Paul McLellan down the right side crossed the ball back to just behind the Violet penalty spot where Danny Cavanagh was waiting and stuck the ball past the home keeper to make it 0-2. Broughty received a scare on 89mins as Violet pulled a goal back, a free-kick was swung into the box and a looping header flew over Ross in the goal into the far corner, 1-2. 

Two more efforts on goal from the Fed, Brian Clark and substitute Ross McCord never brought the third goal as the referee blew the final whistle to send Broughty in the final of the GA Engineering Cup.

Fulltime: Violet 1-2 BAJFC – Scorers ( McConnachie, Cavanagh ) 

Venue Information

Glenesk Park


GK. Iain Ross
2. Jamie McCunnie
3. Ryan Blair
Barry Myles
6. Ryan Suttie
7. Paul McLellan
8. Jamie Winter
9. Stewart McConnachie
10. Brian Clark


GK. John Sinclair
vs Sub
vs Sub9